Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Troye

I could tell from the second their eyes locked. His lips slowly parting as she walked by, his eyes memorizing her every step. His senses had heightened, drinking her in. This was his mate. And it killed me.

I took in a shaky breath as Dallas cussed. He was damning himself. He didn’t want a mate… but here she was. His eyes still lingered on her retreating form in disbelief. His gaze locked on her swaying hips and he licked his lips. I quickly turned away not able to bear much more of this. He was probably going to run after her and start groping her in the hallway or some shit like that, and I am not capable of handling that.

I guess Sam had sensed my heartache because he pulled my shoulders into a tight grasp and began to lead me away from the pining werewolf. I instantly followed, eager to escape. I could feel myself shutter at the thought of the two of them as mates. I always pictured Dallas with someone more submissive and relaxed to calm him down. This girl was the opposite of submissive. I stifled a laugh at the thought running through my mind: who would be on top?

As Sam began to lean into my ear to tell me something, a low growl erupted from behind us sending tingles down my spine like always. Sam stopped walking and turned around, still with a protective hold on my shoulder. I didn’t dare move.

“What do you think you’re doing Sam?” his voice was deep and inhumane. A sound I’ve only heard once before. Dallas’ wolf was taking over and I had my suspicions that the cause was halfway down the hallway by now.

Sam’s voice spoke evenly and calmly, “Dallas. We are going to class. You need to calm down. Just take a couple deep breaths and deal with the mate issue later.”

In an instant Sam’s hold on me was gone and an earsplitting sound of flesh against metal entered my ears. I spun around to see Dallas holding Sam by the neck against the lockers. His feet were coming up off the ground and Dallas’ eyes were glowing red. My heart rate quickened. Why was I always in the middle of these things? Dallas was seething, Sam struggling, and I had no clue what to do.

“What makes you think you can speak to me that way?” Dallas growled in Sam’s face as he flinched.

 Think Troye, think. Last time I was able to get him to calm down, but I doubt he’ll listen to me now. After all he has his mate, now I’m just the useless omega.

“Troye!” Sam choked out, his eyes locked on mine, begging me to help so a werewolf brawl didn’t break out in the middle of 1st period.

“Don’t you dare talk to him! Don’t even look at him! DO you understand?” Dallas’ seethed menacingly, his teeth beginning to elongate. I needed to move fast.

I bit my lip and drew in a deep breath, quickly moving towards the two. I gulped, and placed my hand on Dallas’ back.

“Dal?” I squeaked. He did nothing. Sam was coughing now, his breathing coming less frequent.

I started moving my hand in circles along his back. “Dallas, listen to me. I am fine. I’m right here, okay? I’m here. You need to let Sam go, Dal. He wasn’t hurting me Dallas. I’m fine, I’m right here,” as my whispers reached his ear he turned his gaze on me. His face softened, his grip loosened, his eyes slowly melting into the hazel ones I loved.

He looked from me then back at Sam. He ripped his hands away from Sam’s neck, who instantly fell down to the ground, gasping for breath. I stepped back, not wanting to be involved in that any longer.

“Troye..” Dallas whispered as I retreated. I shook my head, done with it all.

“Well happy birthday Dal,” I responded dryly, then turned on my heel in the opposite direction, ignoring him as he shouted empty apologies after me.