Chapter Four

Chapter 4

Troye

~2 Years ago~

It was my 16th birthday when I realized I was never going to be normal- I mean, aside from the fact I’m gay.

The day started out like any other.

“Troyyyyye get up sleepyhead don’t want to be late for school on your biiiiiirthdaaayyyyy!”

My mom was just a tad over enthusiastic about birthdays.

“Troye! You can’t wear black on your birthday! It’s unlucky!”

“Troye! You didn’t finish your toaster strudel on your birthday! You know what that means?”

“Troye! Don’t forget to put on deodorant! It’s your birthday!”

And so on.

After my mother’s annual birthday routine and the usual “happy birthdays” from people passing by in the hallway or from the teacher that doesn’t hate her life as much as her colleagues; my sixteenth had been as good as it could be. Until I was walking home around 8 o’clock from my best friend’s house -- we had been playing Mario cart (she let me win). I was casually listening to Bastille, content with the serene darkness that encompassed the street, when a low growl erupted from the throat of something behind me. It was as clear as if I were listening to it in my earphones. I froze. Another growl sounded even closer, prickling the hairs on the back of my neck.

It happened before I even had the chance to react. My face was slammed against the concrete sidewalk, pebbles digging into my check. A massive weight on my back was restraining my movement. Shallow, low breaths came in hot bursts on the back of my neck. As I whimpered, my face was slammed further and further into the ground- the animal on my back practically daring me to move.

 I didn’t.

Until I felt its jaws around my neck.

Sam

I actually kind of hate the fact that I’m beta. Yeah, you practically get to do anything you want, unless the alpha says you can’t. And believe me when I tell you, the alpha always says I can’t.

Me: “Dallas can I begin the pack meeting?”

Dallas: “Is your name Dallas? Oh wait. It’s not!”

Me: “Dallas can I go pick up some groceries?”

Dallas: “That’s probably something me, the alpha, AKA Dallas, should regulate. So no.”

Me: “Dallas can I have sex with your little brother who you aren’t actually related to?”

Dallas: “Not unless you’re the alpha.”

So I guess you could say it has its ups and downs.

~~

“You know, Dallas can always tell when you’ve been in my room, right? Not that I don’t wholeheartedly enjoy it but…”

I chuckled at Troye’s comment as I struggled with the buttons on my shirt. I knew Dallas could smell me on Troye. And on his clothes. And in his bed. And on his kitchen counter. Jk we didn’t do it on the kitchen counter.

I’ve kinda taken pride in the fact Dallas can’t really do anything about Troye and me. I mean yeah, he threatens me, ignores me, throws a couple punches at me, but hey- in the end, who’s the one getting ass?

This guy.

The sucky thing is Troye isn’t my mate. I turned 18 back in California and my mate wasn’t there. And he’s not here either- well, so far. A wolf can only hope.

My ears prickled at the sound of Dallas’ old pickup coming down the road. I quickly slipped on my pullover and jeans, eager to escape the beast.

“Dallas is coming Sam! You better get dressed,” Troye shouted from his bathroom. Good thing I already knew that. But how…

“How.. how did you know that?” I peeked my head into the bathroom to look for any indication Troye had known about Dallas coming home, considering the fact only my wolf ears could hear that far.

“I.. I’ve.. you can hear his truck from practically a mile away! Or at least I can,” He quickly fumbled around with his towels, folding and unfolding them nervously.

“Troye- he’s a mile away! No human can hear that far of a distance!”

“Yeah, well. I can. Hey- how’d you know he was coming?” I gulped nervously, trying to think of a plausible answer to Troye’s question.

“He.. uh..texted. He sent me a text.”

Dallas’ car door slamming shattered my scrambling thoughts of werewolves and Troye’s ass. I quickly pulled on my Sperry’s and headed to the window.

“Troye, I’m outta here. I’ll come back later when Dallas is gone,” Troye shouted a halfhearted okay as I lifted up the glass barrier and jumped off the balcony and onto the Smith’s lawn, eager to avoid the alpha.

Dallas

“Where is he Troye? I’m only going to ask you one more time!”

I looked down at the fragile boy sitting on my bed. He was biting the inside of his lip nervously. His fingers laced in and out, cracking his knuckles. His unwillingness to comply had me fuming. My hands were balled into fists, my toes curling, and I was 90% sure my eyes had already turned red.

“Dallas. Calm down. He’s not here.” Troye’s relaxed demeanor had me even more furious. How is not enraged? Sam is taking advantage of him! Can he not see this? He is MY little brother. MINE.

I did not even feel my fist fly through the closet door due to rapid thoughts and mental images of my beta pounding Troye up the asshole flooded my mind. I was seething.

“HE’S TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOU WHY CAN’T YOU SEE THAT, TROYE?” The voice escaping my throat didn’t even sound like mine anymore. I could feel my teeth elongating, my body shifting, my thoughts turning to wolf thoughts.

But suddenly everything was yellow. Like sunshine. Or warmth. Or even-dare I say it- happiness. My body was no longer raging, it was radiating bliss. I opened my eyes. The pale yellow behind me lids slowly took the shape of bedroom. The tall bookcase that displayed photos of my pack. The nightstand, home to a stack of books an old cheetos bag. And my blue and gray striped bed that was no longer occupied by my brother.

I looked down at the lower half of my body, finally sensing a presence there. Troye’s body was attached to me. His head nuzzled into my chest, his arms pressed tightly around my waist. His fingers drawing comforting circles on the small of my back.

A sigh escaped my lips. Troye’s head peeked out from my chest, his eyes looking making their way towards me hopefully.

And when our eyes met all I felt was warmth.