Chapter [35]

Chapter 35

"May I have a moment alone with Brooklyn please?" Pablo asked when he walked up to us.

"I don't think that’s a goo-" I began but was interrupted by Brooklyn.

"Gimme 5 minutes tops please" she said looking at me pleadingly.

"Whatever, I’m gonna go look for Mase anyways" I said angrier than I intended. But could you blame me?

Rule# 13 - Sometimes it’s better to admit defeat (in times when you don’t think this applies refer to rule# 24).

Brooklyn turned her attention to Pablo after she gave Dylan an apologetic look. "What do you want Pablo?"

"Brooklyn I’ve missed you" she glared at him.

"I couldn't go back to Brazil, I can't play soccer, I can’t even think. I love you Brooklyn. I made a mistake and I’m begging for your forgiveness" he said getting down on one knee.

A tear fell down her face. "Oh get up off the floor, your causing a scene"

She had never been caught at a crossroads like this but obviously what Pablo and her had was deeper than what she had with Dylan... At least on her part.

"River I don't know"

"You called me River I suppose that’s step 1" Pablo said smiling weakly. He took hold of one of her hands and kissed it. Brooklyn didn’t pull back, instead she smiled and blushed.

This time it was Dylan's turn to clear his throat and break them apart.

"15 minutes till the start of the award ceremony." the MC announced.

"Oh don't mind me, carry on" I said dryly, "I need some air" I concluded and walked out.

"Hey, thought I’d find you here" Mason said coming up behind me.

"Thank God someone to talk to"

Rule#19 - When girls are being girls, remember your boy’s always got your back.

"I saw Brooklyn with Pablo and I assumed you wouldn't have stayed"

"I don't get her it's like she's using me to get back at him or something"

Brooklyn was upset at the way she was treating Dylan but the fact of the matter was that she had agreed to marry Pablo because she loved him. She'd loved him since the day they'd met. And sometimes they had arguments yeah. Some bigger than others like the recent one and Dylan Ryder had just gotten caught in the crossfire.

"River, can you give me a sec, there's something I need to do"

"Of course, anything for you"

"But maybe you jus-" Mason began but stopped when he saw Brooklyn standing there.

"Can I speak to Dylan for a minute" I stiffened when I heard her voice.

________________

"So you and Pablo are back together now?"

"See the thing with River and I is complicated."

"Ha, you’re already calling him River" I said laughing dryly.

"Just let me ex-"

"Save your breath, I get it. This wasn't serious anyways so forget it" I said and went back inside.

Rule#20 – staying around for explanations is pointless. Don’t do it!

I sat at the assigned table; luckily Mason and Gigi were seated there as well, so Brooklyn and Mason had swapped seats on the circular table so I was seated next to Mason. Another soccer player was on the table with his wife who was heavily pregnant.