Chapter 30: Et tu, Matrem?

Nothing had improved. The open fighting within their family had lessened since Augustus's short brawl with Francis. However, the resentment between the parents and the couple was relentless and would come up out of seemingly nowhere.

One night, Will and Lily were discussing plans they'd made and Will realised he already had a social outing that night.

"Oh, Lily, I'm sorry, we have to leave in a minute. Can we do it tomorrow?" He asked, finishing his chicken.

"Alright,." She agreed with a nod. "That'll be fine." She sipped her cider.

His father mumbled under his breath. "Off to bugger I take it.", rolling his eyes before sipping his ale.

"I heard you." Will snapped, slamming his fork on the table. "You make it sound as though I don't do anything else."

"Do you?" His mother asked sarcastically, before taking a small bite of her roasted potato.

Augustus, felt a need to pre-emptively clear their names and awkwardly cleared his throat, eyes darting between Will's parents.

"Actually, we're going out to meet some friends, so we're not doing, um..." He squirmed in discomfort. This was none of their business! And his ten year-old sister heard them! "...that."

He tittered nervously and promptly started at his plate, pushing his food around, desperate for the moment to pass.

Francis merely sighed in response. They all sat eating in tense silence, until Elizabeth, who was sitting next to her father, unknowingly reopened a huge fight by uttering four simple words:

"What does 'bugger' mean?" The small child asked, gripping a spoon in her tiny hand.

Her mother dropped her fork; it noisily clattered against her plate.

Her father hung his mouth open in disgust, which was an unpleasant sight, for he wasn't done chewing yet.

Will nearly spat out the milk he was drinking.

Augustus dropping his knife. "Oh my God." He mumbled, covering his face in chagrin.

Lily and Mary-Beth exchanged strained looks as they sat side-by-side. Mary-Beth didn't actually know what it meant either, but could clearly see it was nothing to tell a little girl.

The child looked over her shoulders curiously at everyone's heightened reaction and just seemed more confused.

Her mother was the first to speak. She was frantic: "It's bad. It's wrong, and it's very bad."

"But what is it?"

"That's all you need to know."

"But--"

"That's all you need to know." She repeated.

Elizabeth frowned, but obeyed. Lily leaned over to her and said softly: "You'll understand when you're older."

Will looked up, glaring at his parents. "You know, I agree. It is bad."

"Aah, come to your senses at last?" Margaret sardonically asked, sporting a rather amused look.

"That would work out quite well-for you." He sarcastically snipped. "No. It's a 'bad thing' to say in front of her, when she doesn't understand it. But since you're so determined to bother me about it, you don't even realise what you're doing. I certainly hope you're happy with that, because I'm not changing."

With that, they left to meet up with Maurice and Alec.

~*~

"Lily?" Mary Beth asked later that evening.
"Yes?" Lily looked up from her vanity, and her eyes followed Mary as she approached her.