Chapter 12: Wildest Dreams

As the adage goes, that March had 'come in like a lion and out like a lamb'. The last few days of March were unusually warm; it was just over sixty-five degrees for the better part of four days.

On the first night of this untimely heat wave, Augustus couldn't sleep. He'd realised weeks ago he wanted more than friendship with Will but still didn't know how to tell him--or how to handle his feelings for him.

He was overheated, twisted in his blankets. He straightened himself out and laid back, trying to relax. He folded his hands behind his head. As his eyes slipped closed, he kept thinking about being with Will and he sighed deeply. He refused to actually look at Will; staring would become extremely uncomfortable if he noticed.

This didn't feel all that different than liking Claire. He was shocked that he had started liking a boy, but it made so much sense that he liked someone like Will.

Kind, smart, brilliant in his own little way and despite knowing that he's not supposed to like a boy, Augustus was starting to realise that at least for him, it was all about personality.

Maybe whether they're a boy or girl didn't matter to him. So why limit himself? Who could stop him anyway? Surely other people would see it as wrong if they knew, but since he didn't measure up to society so far, why bother trying now?

He didn't know if Will would even want to be with him in that way. He didn't dare act on his intense desires, even alone. All he could do satisfy his curiosity was to imagine how it would be.

Was Will shy about showing affection? Was he a good kisser? What would he be willing to try?

Augustus was so lost in his thoughts he didn't notice Will had woken up. Making matters worse, due to the heat, Will wasn't even wearing a shift. He laid awake, bare-chested and now looking right at him.

"Is everything alright?" Will asked, looking over at him.

Augustus had to be careful. He didn't know how to tell him yet.

Augustus sat up and folded his hands in his lap.

"Yes." Augustus lied. No. He thought.

"Well, do you want to talk about anything?" Will immediately asked.

"No." Yes.

"Are you...sure?" Will asked him, one eyebrow raised.

He knew it would be suspicious if he kept saying no; he needed an alibi.

"Um, I can't stay asleep. I'm over-thinking things." At least that was actually true.

"Well, what are you thinking about?"

You. He had to throw Will off his trail. "Claire."

"Oh. What about her?" Will asked.

Your body. I can't stop staring at it. "I miss her. A lot."

"Really?" Will replied.

I want you. Augustus thought, impatience roaming through his body. I'll do anything to you that you want. Right here, right now.

"Yes. She was really something. Very special."

"Great. well," Will yawned as he spoke. "I'm off to sleep. I'll bet she misses you too."

Please let me. Augustus begged in his mind, staring just for a second at Will's exposed body as he rolled over. Let me do something, anything! I'll kiss you until you can't breathe, touch you until you can't even think...