Return To Kendall

Life's A Beach: Chapter 29: Return To Kendall

"Lucas Hubble," She threatened. "For the last time, get in the car." Nelly pantomimed to check the watch that wasn't even on her freckled wrist.

The sleeping beauty stumbled across the dorm lawn with the fancy schmancy Juniper Cove fountain and a dawn sunrise serving as a peaceful background image. His blonde hair was cutely disarrayed, his chest was slightly pale from the lack of Kendall sun, and he literally looked as if he had rolled out of bed with a surfboard in one flexed muscular arm. And he had.

"Hurry, Luca!" I encouraged before he piled in the back after strapping his board to the roof and slung a familiar orange bag into my clown car.

It read Beach Bum Surf Shop. No, he didn't work there any longer but the bag reeked of comical memories. Ones that I would never forget. And neither could he by the private smirk shot in my direction.

"Hey, Nels." His smooth voice sounded before pecking her cheek and he ruffled the top of my overgrown hair.

College had been a delight for us both. The second in which we found out that we had a week off for Spring Break, we took that by the horns to go visit old Kendall as a temporary hoo-rah. Luca was offered to compete in a Kendall Surf Off and there was no denying that offer. The kid was surely talented.

As for everyone else, life seemed to be falling into place and treating them just swell. Jasper, being newlywed, was expecting his first kid. Hell, they did not wait to get it on. Foster took over The Snack Bar after Paula quit and dyed her hair something other than purple. Cori and Kendall got their own record deal. Dani had explored her new sexuality with a girlfriend and Hawk had tripled in size since my departure. Nelly basically fed him a whole bag of carrots. He was like a bunnyzilla.

Sand crunched over the Volkswagen wheels and in no time we wound up in beautiful sea-misted Kendall. Reviving air filled my lungs as Luca pranced out and wiggled his defined packed muscles into a tight and revealing wet suit. Hey, I did not mind that view.

The well-known air surged into my senses and a dose of nostalgia pulsed in my heart. Nelly ran her smooth hands over the round of my shoulders and I took in a deep breath. There outstretched in front of us was the good-old-beach that I knew oh too well. Oh, how I missed you great old Kendall, you.

"Home?" Nelly laughed an airy laugh as my sun-kissed hair lifted with the balmy wind.

"Home." I said.

Along the wild sloshing water's edge, other surfers waited on Luca's arrival. One of them rolled their eyes while another signaled him over impatiently with a floppy wrist. I lent Luca a hand with the zipper and struggled to balance on my toes to even reach the gorgeous hunk of man. Hubble's bugling back muscles rippled before they were swallowed by the wet suit that I envied.

"Lay off the milk, wouldya?" I taunted as his vibrant eyes slanted with laughter.

"Sure," he spoke and quickly kissed my lips instantly triggering my pulse to race. "When you lay off the beautiful."

"Shipwreck, get your ass over here!" A guy with hair identical to mine hollered.

I had to double take to confirm that yes, he had male parts. When we both looked out across the sunlit ocean water, the whole crew seemed to wave my stunning boyfriend over. I gave him a pat on the shoulders before he bonded to his board and kicked up sand while rushing to the others.

"He'll be just fine, kiddo." Nelly reassured before laying out a blanket for the two of us.

And with that, I noticed that we were far from the only two viewing the whole event. Many Kendall goer's camped out along the sand's edge. Kids licked melting ice creams, Moms bounced impatient babies on their hips, and hundreds of surf fans swirled the beach waiting for the competition to kick off. A little girl with familiar blue eyes and platinum braids on both shoulders waved a poster around with 'Go Shipwreck! ' etched in curly slanted letters.