Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

If something like that would happen, I looked towards the woods. I could always run back to my old home in the woods. Heck, I could do that now if I really want.. A chain linked fence did surround the yard we were in, but it wasn't supper tall. I was sure I could jump over that. I looked down to where the fence met the building. Oooooorrrr.. I could just use that gate over there. I checked up to see where Riley was at, if anyone was looking. None really paid much attention to me, they were all focused in the game. I approached the gate, resting my hand on it and flipping the lock on it over so the gate would open.

The gate pushed open, maybe I can just walk around a little bit. It would be nice to not feel confined for two minuets. Before I could take a step, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped in surprise, spinning around.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Riley took his hand back.

"Just, walking."

His eyes held suspicion. "You're not planning on leaving us right?"

I rolled my eyes, groaning. "Noo.. I'm just gonna go walk around for a little bit. It would be nice to have a small taste of freedom."

"Good." He smiled. "Because I'm going with you."

"What are you? A cop? I don't need an escort and it would also be nice if you had a little trust in me."

"With your record, who can trust you?" He laughed, following me out the gate and to a grassy field.

"Fine then." I breathed.

"Where did you live before us?"

I looked around to try to locate the direction of my old home, when I spotted a familiar area I pointed in its direction. "Somewhere back there, a little ways in the woods."

"In the woods? Isn't that nice?" He chuckled.

"Think what you want, it wasn't all that bad. It was a rundown building. It still had some type of furniture and it was shelter. It was away from people so no one could bother me." I folded my arms across my chest.

"Well you did better than me, when I was younger I basically sat in the alley way with a box over my head for shelter." He started laughing.

I puffed out my checks, giggling into my hand. "A box? Really?"

"Hey, I was too scared to even go into the woods to find an abandoned house. Not too mention too scared to go in there in case I would run into a hobo. But it worked! If the box was big enough, I have my own room."
I couldn't contain my little bit of laughter or hide my smile.

But however, it was wiped off quick when I felt something hit me at full force on the side of the head. I fell to the ground, instantly touching where I felt pain. Riley got down next to me, touching my shoulder. "Mavis, are you okay?"

"Hey guys! Look whose back! It's our little friend."

My head shot up, I knew that voice. Don't tell me.. I looked down to the ground, seeing a bright red and shiny apple laying on the ground next to me. Here we go again.. I looked in the direction of the voices, seeing the local boys that always picked on me when I lived here.

"Wow, Mavis got herself a boyfriend! How tragic," The leader, Ryan, looked to Riley. "Dude, I'll tell ya now, you should run before you actually have to commit to her. She's not worth anyone's time."

"For one, I'm not her boyfriend. And two, back off!" Riley jumped up to his feet, taking a few steps to the group of boys.

"Oh, that's good to hear. Because it doesn't make sense for her to get a boyfriend being the street rat she is." He raised his hand that contained another apple that he stole from one of his friends. He brought his arm back, about the throw it until Riley caught his arm.

Ryan grabbed Riley with his free hand and pushed him into his friends. I rushed to my feet, seeing them pinning Riley down so he was unable to do anything. Some kicked him while they could. Ryan stepped up to me.

"Where ya been, Mavis? We've been looking for you!" He shoved me back down to the ground.I fell down onto my back, looking up to him, unsure of what to do.

At that moment, I noticed his friends and Riley's expression in the background. Their faces all held shock and surprise, all looking up.

Before Ryan could raise another fist, his eyes wondered up, then gotten as wide as they could. He could only back up about two steps until he disappeared all together. He was lifted up into the air. I spun around, flipping over onto my belly and looked up.

Kent stood behind me, holding Ryan by the back of the shirt. Ryan struggled a little, until Kent got closer. "Is there a problem?"

"N-No, not a-at all." Ryan grabbed Kent's fingers that pinched the back of his shirt to better steady himself.

Oh my God! Whatever is going on with the court, Kent's gonna get them in even more trouble.

"Good." Kent lowered him, roughly setting him on the ground. "Now get lost."

Ryan stumbled a little, almost falling over. He exchanged glances with me but that only showed fear hiding in his eyes. He rushed to his friends, getting off of Riley and running away. I tried to push myself up onto my feet, my back felt sore from the fall. Kent grabbed the back of my shirt, helping me up.

As I got to my feet, I just had to get straight to the point, asking questions. "What do you think you were doing?"

"I think I was just helping you."

"We already had to go through court, you're going to get you and Dash in even more trouble!" I exclaimed.

"Nah, I think I'm fine. I came out here to round everyone up so we can go through the last court session. Dash is attempting to fill out papers." He turned to walk toward the building as Riley and I followed. We got to these big doors, a little bigger than normal doors but not too much.

I turned back to look at Kent. "Have fun getting in."

He sighed. "I got through this door one time, I can get in a second time!" He exclaimed with determination.

"Oh, I gotta see this." Riley commented.

Riley and I walked in first, turning back to see how Kent plans on getting through. Kent had to get down to his hands and knees, squeezing himself into the door.

"I swear, if I get stuck you two better go get help." Kent smiled, pulling himself through the entrance.

"I'll bring you some lotion." I said, making Riley and I both laugh. Kent glared playfully at me for a second. But surprisingly Kent did well on getting in. In no time we got to the main room we needed to be in, in the court room.

Dash sat in the spot that was made for him, holding a small piece of paper. He read the paper with reading glasses resting over his eyes.

"Gosh, Dash is in THAT point in his life." I whispered to Riley, giggling.

"I can hear you, Mavis." Dash said, not even looking away from the paper. He signed the paper the best he could, passing it to the judge.

"Okay, how do you always hear me? How good are your ears?"

"Better than my eyes." He took the glasses off. Placing them into another pocket.