Chapter 12

The day was very quiet. Lots of people were in the small hut. But they didn't say a word. They were all occupied with their own minds. 

Ron held Cho's hand and stroked it quietly. It was a token of his affection that they would soon got separated for their dangerous mission.

Harry and Ginny were not in the living room. Since Madeline told everyone Hermione's condition, they went and locked themselves in Ginny's room. Probably savoring their last moment.

Each of them, saying their goodbyes in different ways. But Luna was so sad, knowing that others have time to say goodbye to their love ones, while hers was not around. She herself didn't know where Draco was. Was he safe, was he alright, or was he even alive. She longed to see him, to touch his blond hair again as she usually did whenever they kissed. 

As Luna felt, Severus felt similar. He was waiting in the small bedroom. Hermione was still unconscious. She looked to be peacefully asleep. Her frown was gone. Her worry lines were no longer there. He was terrified. Everyone praised for his bravery. Any Gryffindor would praise him that, for his sacrifice to all wizards and witches in battling the dark forces. But today, he finally was facing his bigger fear, his boggart. 

Madeline convinced him few times now that she would be fine. But it was hours already. No signs that she would awake soon. He wanted to say many things to her before he would leave with the others to start their mission in Hogwarts. He felt heavy weight pressuring his heart, regrets filled in his mind, telling him how stupid he was for not asking her to marry him.

He pulled his hand to his cheek, "Please wake up," he whispered again and again.

She looked so serene, so peaceful that he thought for a second that maybe this was for the best. She would've been so stubborn to join them, if she was conscious. She would asked Mrs. Wesley to take care of their son and didn't want be apart from him. She definitely would do that.

But she couldn't now. Severus could leave without her nagging to join. It should be a good thing. But Severus couldn't help but to worry. She couldn't trust what Madeline told him. His examination was the same. But he was no healer. His knowledge was far from Madeline. And he suspected that the woman healer kept something from him.

He whispered again, "Please, Hermione, wake up."

But he received no answer. He took the ring from his pocket. The ring had a simple gold band curving like knots with medium size green emerald in the middle.  

"Hermione, will you marry me?" He asked to the air.

As if he was imagining that she said yes, he then pushed her finger to the ring. 

"I had never broken any promise that I made before, so I won't start it now," he sighed, while still holding her hand tightly. "But I want you to know that I want to survive this battle. I will do everything in my power to come home to you, our son and..," he moved his right hand to her stomach where the baby should be, "our baby."

He then got up and bowed to kiss her forehead and her lips.

"Good bye Hermione," he whispered to her.

He walked out of the room, and it seemed to be the cue that every one was waiting. As they started to stand up and said their last good byes as well. Then they all walked out of the hut and apparated to Hogsmead. 

They hid into Aberforth's house where a secret passage to Hogwarts located. They shared their plan and Aberforth took them to the secret passage. They proceed their plan, Severus and Mcgonagal walked through the secret passage, making sure it's safe for everyone to follow.

The passage was dark that they use their wands to provide the light. They didn't say a word, as they were under pressure that someone was lurking at the end of the passage. They reached a wall that blocked the passage, and Severus said the key word.

The wall moved away, and they entered an empty vast room. Room of requirement.

Severus then inspected the room before returned to Mcgonagal who was still inside the passage. 

"It's safe, let them know," he said to her.

She sent her patronus to the others and entered the room. She and Severus then thought of things that they needed, and room of requirement provided for them. When the others arrived, the room was like a safe house again, with several bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, living room and bath rooms. 

After the others arrive, Severus then said something to Albus and then he left the room of requirement.

"Where is he going?" Asked Harry.

"He's going to check the school," Albus said.

"By himself?" Remus asked.

Albus nodded and said, "I think he's right. It's safer if he goes himself for now, Remus." The others were going to argue that, "However, I will need two people to help me go to my office."

When Harry was going to volunteer himself, Albus lifted his hand and said, "Not you, Harry."

"But Sir,..." 

"Harry, you will have your battle."

"Then let me and Remus go with you," Sirius said.

"Very well."

The three of them walked out leaving the others in the room of requirement.

It was few hours later that Severus returned to the room of requirement but he was not alone. He brought bloody Draco and Lucius with him.