Susan

Consequences can be hard when you answer someone without listening.

      There was no way I would've chosen to sing at such a great event. Even the most ignorant of all students attended the summer performance. It was like a talent hunt type of thing except there were no judges and everyone was supposed to enjoy the performances.

Liah was a sly kid.

Liah : Sorry, but I can't possibly take your name off now. It's too late.

Susan : But Li--

Liah : You have a great voice. Just admit it. Even though you like to play nerdy, I know, deep down you're dying to show everyone what a talented person you are.

Susan : No I'm not.

Liah : Oh my god, it's just one performance! And you don't even have stage fright!

Liah was right. I didn't have stage fright or anything which would cause obstruction in my singing. I always considered my voice as a hereditary thing from my mother. So singing never made the top rank in my priority list.

     I put on a light, flimsy hoodie over my jeans and checkered top. I didn't have anything fancy in my wardrobe except for a blue sequined gown which my mom had saved for the prom. I couldn't argue with her about it. I never preferred shorts or skirts.
I fancied myself the way I was.

Walking in the huge auditorium was no big thing. But walking past annoying people, especially fangirls, was horrible.

Annoying girl number one : Eek!! Here they come!

Annoying girl number one's friends : Squuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. . . . .

     A few of the boys at our school had a band called, "The Lashers". I can't remember the number of times I've rolled my eyes at that name. Or the number of times I've rolled my eyes at the number of girls drooling over the creators of the band with that name.

      The four guys walked past like they were real celebrities, waving and smiling brightly.

      I rolled my eyes. And somehow the lead singer of the band caught me doing it. I turned and walked away. An hour later,

Liah : Susan, you're up.

Susan : Don't ever expect me to fall for your trick again. 'Cause I'm not gonna.

Liah : Shut up, Susan. Now blow their minds with that voice!

      I sighed. But I did what I could. I sang what I knew. And I sounded like myself.
      The whole crowd went quiet. I ran my eyes over the whole student body, my vocal cords stretching and contracting rhythmically, my song flowing through the air like the smell of popcorn. I spotted Ginny and Carla. I also spotted their boyfriends. I spotted the leader of the Lashers and quickly threw my gaze away so that his eyes couldn't hold mine. I could see everyone and their faces.

       Suddenly, a certain boy, seated right in the front row caught my eye. The expression on his face was the reason. I began to fidget. I couldn't understand his look. I couldn't understand the feelings behind it. His gaze was unwavering. His eyes were shining.

      I looked away. But only after making a resolution.

      I needed to know who he was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to keep reading!
- Mallina