Two

"I'm F/N and that's Kuma." You nodded at bully that was now nuzzling up to him.

Recognition flashed over his eyes but he stayed quiet as he shifted toward the dog.

"You don't seem to be in pain anymore. Do you want me to take you to the doctor?"

He slowly shook his head running his hands between Kuma's ears.
You sighed sliding into an armchair in the corner.

"I don't want to pester you...but I've got a lot of questions."
"It's fine." He mumbled.

You swallowed your nerves, "W-who is Luffy?"

He shot up, sheets fluttering off his body, "H-how?"
"Ah, I guess you don't remember. When I found you, you were screaming that name." You watched him frown and run his hands through his hair.
"My little brother." He sighed.

Your heart dropped to your stomach. He had been screaming and reaching so desperately.

"How did you get here?"
"I ... I don't know. I was with Luffy at Marineford and then I woke up here." He pressed his face into his palms.

Marineford?

You wanted to ask but were interrupted when he moved tracing his fingers over his chest.

"What happened to me?"
"I was hoping you could answer that." You stood and shrugged, "I got some clothes I think should fit you if you want to wash up, the bathroom is across the hall. We can chat later, I'm sure you're hungry."
"Thanks." He murmured as you made your exit.

While he showered and tried to become more familiar with his surroundings you slipped into the kitchen to make something to eat. He probably needed something more substantial than a sandwich so you started doctoring up a canned spaghetti sauce and boiling some noodles. Nothing fancy but easy enough.
Kuma seemed unfazed by Ace's presence which you took as a good sign. He was a pretty good judge of character.

"F/N?" Ace called softly rounding the corner with a towel flopped over his head, still shirtless in the baggy black sweats you'd purchased.
"It's 30 degrees out you'll catch a cold wandering around like that."
"I'm not really used to shirts and jackets." A small smirk tugged at his lips.
"From some place tropical?" You guessed.
He blinked and shook his head, "That's not what I meant."

His eyes darted to the pot in front of you while he contemplated explaining himself.

"Have you ever heard of a devil fruit?"
You turned back to him brows knit, "Can't say that I have."

He seemed to be trying to find common ground between where he is and where he'd come from.

"What is it?" You asked.
"It's a fruit that gives you abilities in exchange for being cursed by the sea." He ruffled the towel through his wet hair as he explained this very absurd fruit in a very matter-of-fact tone.
"That doesn't sound real." You commented.
"You don't believe me?" He asked dropping the towel around his shoulders.
"I mean, you fell from the fucking sky so I guess anything is possible." You paused for a beat, "Did you eat one of them?"
He nodded, "But it seems I don't have it anymore."

You hummed not sure what you should believe.

"Am I dead?"

Honestly you were surprised he hadn't asked sooner.

"I'm very much alive, so I don't think so." You replied, "Now please, go put a shirt on."

After getting dressed Ace sat at the table with you. He thanked you for the meal and began to eat.

"So what were you doing at this Marineford place?" You asked.
"I was captured by the world government and was about to be executed."

World government?
You've failed me Kuma. There's a criminal from another world eating in my house.

"Well that explains the bruises on your wrists...why were you being executed?"

This conversation is absurd.

"It's complicated." He huffed.
"I've got nothing to do today." You sat back watching him serve himself seconds.
"I'm er- I was a pirate." He blurted.
"A pirate?"
"Second Division Commander of the Whitebeard pirates." He stated proudly.
"So, you were being executed because you're a pirate." You confirmed.
"More or less." He nodded, "My biological father was a notorious pirate and I'm the end of the bloodline."
"But you have a brother."
"I have lots of brothers. All adopted I guess you could say."

You rubbed your temples trying to process all of this information.

"I feel like this is just a really lucid dream."

A pleasant chuckle rumbled across the table.

"Me too."

There was a brief silence before Ace's face dropped onto the table in front of him, snoring softly, his fork full of noodles gripped tightly in his hand. You blinked.

Narcolepsy?

This guy was troublesome enough.
You stood and began to clear the table. As you reached for Ace's plate his fork came down splattering noodles on the table while the raven sat up.

"I'm not done." He muttered continuing to shovel food into his maw.
"OK... I need a nap." You turned to leave the room tapping Kuma's head, "Keep an eye on him boy."
"Sleep tight." Ace chimed.

                                                                              _____________

He was standing back to back with Luffy in a ring of fire fending off marines; happy to be free and able to fight with his brother. The youngest had gotten stronger since the last time they'd seen each other and he'd fought hard to free him. In the scuffle the brothers were separated. There wasn't much space between them but there were marines and admirals. So much of it was a blur of flames, ice and magma.
He'd squared off with Akainu. Just killing Ace wouldn't be enough now that he knew of his brother and Luffy had caused enough trouble staying in the heart of the battle.
Making him watch his brother's death would not only rid the world of one more pirate it would break Fire Fist. Ace screamed for his brother willing himself to move faster as the younger turned wide eyed. All he could hope to do was protect Luffy. He watched the horror reflect in Luffy's eyes as the admiral made contact with his back.
There was a lot he wanted to say. He wanted to thank him for saving him, for loving him, for choosing to be his brother. Now he couldn't remember if he got to say anything at all.

His eyes opened to the dark room a cold sweat running down his face as he tried to catch his breath. He jumped catching sight of you sitting next to him in the bed. Quietly you pulled him into your shoulder.

"You were screaming again." You murmured.
"S-sorry." He croaked.
"What happened?" You asked rocking him.

"I... I died."