Holding Onto You Chapter 44

Start from the beginning

"Oh I know that look, even though I have no idea how you learned to do that. It's spring break so of course you're going out with your friends. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Go have fun with your friends." Mum knew me too well.

"I'm going to Vincent's house so why don't we go together. You and Mrs. Stone get along well and Vince loves you." I knew Vince would love to have mum visit him.

I hated how much what dad did affected mum. Could he not have taken one moment to think what would happen to mum.

"Thanks my dear but I'm just going to stay at home. I am not in the mood to put pants on." Mum said, turning the music off.

"Oh thanks mum I didn't need to know that." I sometimes wonder what goes on around me that wouldn't be normal if I could see but happens anyway.

"Hey I'm wearing your dad's shirt so it's decent enough. He loves it when I..." She stopped before she could say anything more about dad.

I didn't know if I should say something about it or change the subject. What was left to say anyway? Were we just supposed to talk about him like a good memory after what he did? But I had this one opportunity to speak to mum about it so I had to use it. At least then I would know what to tell dad when he called again.

"Will we ever be able to forgive him mum?" I asked her cautiously.

"Hunter I don't think I will ever be able to get over what he did." Mum told me and I was relieved that mum was so calm about it.

"Yeah mum I know what dad did was horrible but it was done in a fit of rage. He hates that I'm gay and he wants me to be the ideal son that he thinks he could have had in Andrew so seeing me kiss Finn just made him snap." I was not justifying what dad did at all, I was just trying to make her understand.

"But he didn't have to resort to violence. He didn't have to turn into an animal." Mum sounded so broken.

"I know he reacted in the wrong way but he just found it as an opportunity to release his frustration and anger. Unfortunately his target was wrong because his target should have been me. I should have been the one he took out his anger on because I was the cause of it. I'm the one who's disappointed all of you and I'm the one who should have been punished." I tried to block out all thoughts of what Finn went through in the hospital.

"Hunter stop. I don't want to hear you defending him again or justifying what he did. I don't want to hear any more about this. I lost my son as well and I know exactly what your dad went through because of it but he did not have to hurt someone else, a young defenceless boy, to feel better. Do you want me to drop you off at Vincent's house?" I knew there was no room for argument.

"Thanks he's coming to get me." I muttered, not sure how to feel. I was hoping to get answers but I realized that mum wasn't ready to come to any decisions yet.

"Vincent really cares about you Hunter, don't let your dad come between you two as well." Mum whispered, caressing my cheek.

I knew that if Vincent heard everything I just said about dad, he would be very upset with me and he would take Finn's side in a heart beat if I ever forgave dad. But I also had to think of mum, of Heather and about the future of our family. I had to save us.

"I love Vincent so much mum, I want to spend the rest of my life with him. I will never do anything to hurt him, I promise." I assured her.

Just then I heard the front door open and I smiled when I heard Vincent call my name.

"Hunter?" He called, making my heart miss a few beats.

"I'm in the kitchen." I answered, not wanting to leave mum just yet.