Holding Onto You Chapter 9

Hunter's pov

If someone had told me a few months ago that I would be sitting in a high school cafeteria eating lunch with three very friendly very hilarious and a tad bit loud teenagers I would have found their cheek and slapped it for giving me false hope. But as I sat here today listening to them go on and on about how shocked they are that I managed to make Vincent Stone chuckle, I couldn't help but smile and sigh in content. I could live my whole life in this moment and I would be happy. Well if I could live forever in that moment when Vincent had me in his arms with his lips on mine and my fingers curled up in his hair, I would die with happiness. He is truly a blessing in my life. He is so kind toward me and is always concerned about whether I'm okay and comfortable, if I have everything I need and I'm not feeling lost. I feel very safe when I'm with him, like no one can harm me as long as he's with me. He always puts a smile on my face. And the best part is that he smells amazing, all the time, even after football practice or gym class. It's as if he bathes in his cologne. And his voice is so deep and comforting. He is the splash of colour in my black world. I would not have survived in this school if it wasn't for him. Whenever I'm with Mark or one of the others and they are distracted for a while, I get shoved against the lockers by a guy named Kevin. He tells me that he is just waiting to catch me alone to show me what he will do to me. Honestly I'm scared, I mean what if he hurts me real bad, and why does he want to hurt me? I don't even know him. I don't know if I should tell Vincent about this or not. What if he hits Kevin and then Kevin will want to hurt me even more? I don't know what to do.

I heard fingers snap in front of my face and I looked up a little. "Hunter why do you look like you were just told that half the Mafia are after you? You went from having a big smile and looking like a twelve year old girl thinking about her crush to shit scared in ten seconds." Tyler told me.

My face burned in embarrassment, why was he starring at me. "All this time you guys were looking at me?" I asked him in a low voice.

"Yeah, we've been trying to get your attention for about five minutes but you seemed to be on another planet." Sarah replied and I felt awful for ignoring them.

"I'm sorry I zoned out for a while." I said.

"Don't apologize Hunter, I should be the one apologizing. Because of my stupid problems with Mark, you had to go through so much. We haven't even been friends for a day and I'm already causing you discomfort. Please forgive me, I'm truly sorry about earlier." Alex said, sounding regretful.

"Don't be silly Alex, you don't need to apologize. You have every right to sort out your problems with Mark and no problem is stupid. Although everything gets solved better when you sit down and talk, sometimes it's necessary to throw in a punch or two to get your point across. I just panicked because it happened so fast and without any warning and I get scared when I'm around people who are fighting but you didn't know so it's totally okay, I promise." I smiled at him and outstretched my hand in his direction. He took it and I squeezed it reassuringly. I didn't want him to stop being my friend for fear of causing me harm, I couldn't go through that again. "If you consider me to be your friend you will stop apologizing and put what happened behind us."

"Thanks Hunter you're too kind. And of course I consider you my friend and I'm lucky you still consider me your friend. Now stop being so sweet before I fall in love with you." He said teasingly and flicked me on my nose. I smiled and looked down blushing. "Aw I cannot get over how adorable you look when you blu..."

"Oh please, someone give me a barf bag. Seriously Alex do you hit on anything that moves? At least give Hunter a break. He already has to deal with Tyler's voice." I heard Mark interrupt Alex and save me from having him comment on me blushing.