15 | The Night of Ascension

"Oh, you did not."

"Bryce!" King yelled as he locked his cousin's neck in a tight grip when he tried to lunge onto the freckly redheaded guy.

Then, a sun-kissed man wearing a white tux walked into the scene, holding a glass of Shotgun, an intimidating cocktail mix of gin, vodka, rum, tequila, and triple sec, on one hand, and pushing the other against the angry redhead's chest.

"I'm sorry. It seems like my companion here caused you quite the trouble," he apologized, though not sounding and seeming too apologetic as he implied with that smirk on his attractive face.

"On the other hand," he added, an arrogant grin pulling on his lips, "I do wanna hear some apologies on your side though. I did hear the 'mutt' part."

King frowned as the man directed his icy-blue eyes at him instead at Bryce. He felt Déjà vu. Then his eyes widened, and he remembered why.

Oh shit, he mentally cursed himself.

So how did it end up like that? Oh, let's take a quick rewind.

Arkaya Event Spaces is one of the most prominent venues in Romania, designed in the baroque style with the gilded ceiling that takes guests on a journey back in the 17th century. Extravagant chandeliers dominate the skyline, sending the entire place in a golden whisk of a fairytale. The entire area screamed regality.

King was leaning back on the bar top, sipping on a cocktail glass of blood-red, when Pandora walked towards him, her silver heels clunking against the marble floor. Her hair was straightened, and she was indeed wearing a white slinky cowl-neck dress, different from what King had thought. Too revealing, if he was asked. Though, it suited her. . . too much, if King was also asked.

Pandora stared at the three empty glasses behind King as she sat on the front bar beside him.

"Careful on that," she said.

King shook the glass and stared at it. "It's nonalcoholic. Don't worry."

"Are you worried about the other members or the werewolves?"

"Both?"

"They're not going to attack us in public," she uttered.

"In public, huh? So. . . does in private count?"

"It very well doesn't."

King chuckled at her. "Well, thanks for that information."

"Try to keep out of corners then."

King stared at her. "I mean, I don't think they're just paying homage for Axel and Uncle. And I know you already realized that."

King examined her expression as she stared at the blank space. Though it didn't much help, she was blanker than the space she was staring at.

"You have something in your mind, don't you?" King frowned.

She stared back at him. "We'll see about that."

"What do you mean?

"I just need more time to confirm something."

King knew he wasn't getting more info than that. He had been bugging Pandora to tell him since the day they went to Busteni. She never gave him an answer, though she'd give him an odd look.

He sighed and raised his head to look at the ornate ceiling. "I hope you get that time of yours before we go back to Manhattan. Because I'm literally going to die from curiosity."

She smiled. "I hope so."

"Hey." King frowned at her.

"Anyway, just avoid them. Whatever they're thinking, it's for us to know just yet." Pandora took King's drink, much to the dismay of the other, and plopped it at the counter. "Now drop this, or you'll end up in the bathroom now and then."