Chapter 9

[KY Derby was amazing. Not going to say the winner, tho]

***

Shay's POV

...California Chrome." Dad said looking at me. Tori hide behind them with her head down. "He is here for the Derby and we are going to go look at him." Mom told me. Tears fell from my eyes. One bad thing lead to another. I got up, and ran into Samraat's stall. I hugged his neck and wept. He wasn't fully ours. Would his new half owners like me playing games with him? Exercising him? Would I be removed from him? I didn't know.

Slowly, I walked out of the stall closing it behind me. I followed Mom, Dad, and Tori out of the barn to meet California Chrome. I had heard of him before. He was the horse everyone liked. Instead Samraat was known as the brown paper bag [a/n; did anyone else hear this comment while watching the derby?😂]. We walked past grooms and horses. Some rode some walked. We reached Barn A and stepped inside.

Tori's POV

Barn A was exactly the same as Barn D, except bigger. Down the aisle was Chrome's stall. I wasn't going to mention to Shay, that I told mom and dad to do this.

Shay was always with Sam. From the moment he was born. I didn't have that. I wanted a horse that was a champion that I could love, like Shay and Samraat.

Shay's POV

I stood quietly in front if stall 10A. A tall, sturdy looking chestnut stuck his head out and nickered to his visitors. I walked up to him and pet his soft nose. He nuzzles me. Probably looking for treats. Tori walked up next to me and disappeared into Chrome's stall. Minutes later she came out leading him on a leather line. "Want to graze him with me?" She asked holding out the lead line to me. "Sure." I said taking a step forward. I grabbed the line and lead Cali Chrome out into the sun.

Before settling down to graze, Chrome nuzzles my pocket. He keeps pushing on my pocket and finally the treat fell out. Greedily, he snatched it up before I could. I laughed. He was funny. Tori came over and took the lead rope from me. She looked happy. I watched as she patted Chrome's shoulder.

A few minutes later we had California Chrome back in his stall. "Tomorrow he is coming to our barn." Mom told us after we had left. Tori cheered and I didn't reply. Tori now had her own horse, well kind of, and I had half of one. When we reached Barn D Tori and I spread shavings into a stall next to Sam. We cleaned out 2 purple water buckets and hung then on the walls. Every thing was ready for the new arrival.

I just didn't get why we'd move him on derby day. Instead if racing one horse Cross Beau Racing Stables had two. I like Chrome, don't get me wrong, but Samraat was better.

*next morning*

Derby Day. I had to get to the barn early to take care of Sam. Tori and Dad had already gone to get California Chrome settled. I grabbed my bag and stuffed in a hair brush, eyeliner, mascara, and my derby dress. Mom had the hats.

I quickly put on regular barn clothes, black leggings and an sweatshirt that said "My horse is my boyfriend". I brushed my hair then ran downstairs. Mom was already in the car. I grabbed an energy bar and ran to the car. I opened the door and hopped in. Mom took off toward the track.

Tori's POV

"Come on Chromie." I called, lead Cali Chrome into his new stall. We walked right in and began munching on his hay. I removed his leather halter and exited the stall, placing the halter on a hook. Shay and mom would be here any minute. I walked over to Samraat, who was staring out into the crazy aisle. Fans crowed the barn, taking pictures with there favorite horses. One girl came up to me. She had red hair and lots of freckles. "Hello. My name is Katrina can I take a picture with your horse Samraat? He is my favorite." She said holding out her canon rebel t3i. "Sure. I'm Tori." I said taking her camera. She went and stood next to Sam who nuzzles her cheek. She laughed and I snapped a picture. She walked back to me and looked at the picture. "It's perfect! Thanks." She said giving me a hug. "Your welcome." I said hugging her back. "Good luck." She said walking down and out if the barn.

After Katrina, many fans came to take pictures with Sam and Chrome. They were superstars. After I grabbed the paper to check odds. California Chrome was the favorite. My horse was the favorite! His odds were 5-2 will Samraat's where 18-1. I knew Chrome was going to win.

I grabbed California Chrome's halter and his thing purple blanket. I opened his stall door and stepped in, spreading the able key and buckling it over his back. I put in his halter and attached a leather lead. I lead Chrome out and watched as fans lined up to watch him graze. Camera clicked and fans cheered but Chrome didn't mind, he just kept on grazing, tugging the green strand out if the ground. Soon enough Shay and Mom arrived. So much for getting here early. "Hey." Shay said pulling her hair into a messy bun. "Hi." I said walking Chrome around the circle. Happily, he shook his mane out. Shay didn't say another word as she walked into the barn.

[a/n; sorry I don't like writing Tori's POV but yeah...]

Shay's POV

I lead Samraat around the barn, getting smiles and cheers from fans and glares for my sister. She's had this horse for a day! Also she just came back from boarding school and its not going off to a good start. Fans snapped pictures and we walked and her heard calls like "Go Chrome!", "Samraat!", or "Chromie for life!!". I was sick of this. Chrome was ate horse now and I already hated him. This sucked. Why would the 'Dumb Ass Partners (DAP)' want to seek there ONE HORSE?! Idiots. [a/n: not really I love Chrome's real owners to pieces]

I quickly put Sam back in his stall. This was going to be a log day. I decided to clean tack. I grabbed Sam's halter, bridle, and saddle ad headed for the small tack room. I set the saddle down and started to clean.

~~~

Filler Chapter :/

So close to 200 reads!

Preakness Countdown: 9 days💕

Who do you think will win the derby in this story?

-Maddie🔥

Social:

Instagram- @get_the_gallop & @gotcamera

Ask- Coming Soon

{new book coming soon! :O}