Chapter 12 - The Chase

Start from the beginning

On both sides of the spaceport, the contrasts of Proxima b were evident. To his left, the landscape stretched out towards the horizon, ending in the dark and cold north while the desert and dead south, crowned by the presence of the sun in the sky, stretched out to his right. He couldn't help but smile.

"Denton, you there?" Tanner said.

"I'm here. Enjoying the view."

"Security has been alerted. She'll be taken into custody as soon as she tries to go through security."

"Good. I should be arriving just moments after she does," Denton said as he reviewed the distance remaining to the spaceport. "Meanwhile, until I get there, have you dug up anything else about Gabi?"

"I'm still pulling in data but..."

Tanner's voice suddenly faded and was replaced with silence.

"Tanner? Are you there? What happened?"

Denton changed the comm frequencies and tried again. Only silence. He tapped his headset gently, then more forcefully as the silence remained. Nothing. It was as if Tanner had faded away.

Denton almost jumped out of his seat when the craft AI abruptly interrupted his troubleshooting. "Proximity alert. Proximity alert. Alter course immediately. Alter course immediately." The tinny voice was accompanied by a flashing red light on the instrument panel. As if on cue, another craft appeared in view to his right, flashing lights visible on the outside of the fuselage. Denton sighed. He immediately recognized the insignia. It was the local airway patrol, affectionately called LAP.

"Hey Tanner, hello?" he tried again as he fought with the controls to avoid colliding with the patrol craft.

There was no response. The alarm kept blaring, and the patrol craft crept closer. He instinctively steered his own craft in the opposite direction, but the patrol craft remained glued to his side.

His HUD lit up with an icon that indicated an incoming transmission. He quickly accepted. He had to get rid of the patrol craft or risk losing track of Gabi.

"This is Officer Lawson with the Airway Patrol," a male voice with a constant pitch said. "You are in violation of the city airway code of conduct and neutral airspace regulations. Please reduce your speed and land at the closest AP station for further processing."

Denton rolled his eyes. The local governments had insisted that their autonomous patrol crafts be given names. It made them seem more human, yet they were easily distinguished from human patrols by their methodical manner and strict adherence to rules and regulations.

"Officer Lawson, my name is Denton Staxx. I'm with the Orbital Security Service, badge number CC887674. I am in pursuit of a suspect with possible ties to a terrorism investigation. It is vital that I continue immediately."

There was a moment of silence.

"Mr. Staxx, I am currently unable to confirm your identity," Lawson finally said. "Please reduce speed and land at the nearest AP facility for processing."

"Officer, I really don't have the time for this. How can you not confirm my identity? I gave you my information. Your dispatch should be able to easily confirm it."

"Sir, unless you do as ordered, your vehicle controls will be disabled and remotely routed to the nearest landing pad. At that point, you will be taken into custody and charged with resisting an officer."

"I don't have time for this," Denton mumbled and disconnected the call. "Tanner, are you there? Can you help me out here?"

There was no answer. Only silence. Moments later, Officer Lawson interrupted the silence by forcing a connection with Denton.