Friend to the end

Chapter 5

Janice owed Chardae her life and she knew it. Chardae had given up her freedom for her and she could never pay her enough.

Janice couldn’t even look at another man. After what Tyrel did to her and what her best friend had to do to eventually stop him, she knew she could never trust another man again. No matter how sweet they talk and all the bullshit they promise, in the end, she knew they would end up being another Tyrel.

At first, all Janice wanted was a thug that had money and could take care of her. But she soon realized, after she was already too deep in, that all thugs want our trophies and money. They talk the best game, buy you the most shit, take you the nicest place, but they not just doing that for you or with you. They doing it with every piece of pussy they can get near with a nice body or a pretty face attached.

Janice knew she was a beauty and she admitted she used her body to get what she wanted. But now that way of thinking and acting died with Tyrel. She was better than that now. Chardae had proven that to her. Chardae risked everything to prove that to her.

Janice’s face eventually want back to normal except a small scar that remained right above her eyebrow. That scar reminded her of the hell she went through thinking about only chasing after bad boys and money. Janice stared at that scar every day as a constant reminder to live her life right.

Janice wanted to go back to school and get a real education since she barely passed high school trying to be a thug’s wifey. She wanted to be something Chardae could be proud of.

And Chardae was proud. Janice visited her every other weekend while Chardae was incarcerated to tell Chardae about her progress and what she was doing with her life. Janice never missed a visit. Either Chardae’s brother would drive her there or she would take a bus. She didn’t care how she got there as long as she got to see Chardae’s loving face. At first, if Charles wasn’t available to take her, she would ask other people. But all those dudes wanted was pussy for their chauffeuring services so she stopped asking. Her coochie was no longer for sale for any man. No man was worthy anymore and that made her more attractive to the guys on the block, especially the dealers. They came around trying to show off their new rides or flossing their monetary assets but Janice didn’t pay them any mind. She was done with that life. And besides half of them worked for Charles and the other half was just too lame to even think about.

Janice kept her legs closed and her mind opened. She wanted to be a lawyer. Seeing her friend going to jail for self-defense even if the attacker wasn’t actually going after Chardae made her realize how imperfect the juridical system was. She wanted to now know how to prevent future injustices from happen. She couldn’t fathom how a man who had a hundred police reports for domestic violence and was even a criminal was able to still walk away around free but one act of bravery can get a prison term. That shit irked her every day and every visit reminded her of that fact.

After the third year into Chardae’s incarceration, Janice was working hard in getting her law degree in criminal justice. She even started doing an internship at a small time law firm and as a bonus, the lawyers there helped her look at appeals for her friend’s case. Chardae was happy to hear about that because Chardae thought her current defender was a piece of shit.

Janice fought long and hard on Chardae’s behalf. She made getting Chardae out of the institution her number one priority. It became her driving force for everything in her life.

Charles, however, as much as he wanted his sister out on the streets with him, liked the idea of how she was running business inside those stone walls. He was making a double income just on that facility alone and with Chardae’s help hooked up other inmates to do the same in similar prisons in other parts of East Coast. His name was starting to ring more bells as well as his sister. The Willow siblings were beginning to become a name in the streets again.

Chardae, in the beginning of her prison term, had to show every female in the establishment that she was indeed the wrong bitch to fuck with. She already was going to get tested because she was fair skin and looked pretty as hell and she walked around like she had a chip on her shoulder. But the first lady that tried her learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Big Luchi was a huge black burly dyke chick that pretty much had bitches scared in there and made most of the inmates in there involuntary carpet munchers. Big Luchi thought she could add Chardae to the list and she was sadly mistaken. Even though Chardae looked frail and weak, she was anything but. Chardae had learned boxing and all type of defense from her brother growing up so she would know how to defend herself when he wasn’t around. Besides learning the art of weaponry, she also learned close quarter combat skills courtesy of what her father taught her brother a long time ago. Chardae was able to take on any opponent no matter what size and she proved it with her match against Big Luchi. After that, Big Luchi became one of Chardae’s flunkies and kept the other females in check.

Janice couldn’t believe all the stories Chardae told her on her bi-weekly visits. Chardae’s tales alone could be enough to write a book. Janice kept notes in her head of everything that Chardae said and wrote it in a secret journal. Janice figured one day the world would want to hear the tales of the amazing Chardae Willows aka Boss Mama.

About five years and six months into her sentence, Chardae got her appeal approved and her time inside came to a close.