Chapter Forty-Nine

On the ride, I learned that Mario was a huge member of the Family. A guy a little older than us who was undercover within the Family and worked with the police. He normally got the members out of petty crimes and gave them tips on other gang activity for a bit of extra cash. They talked about him as if he was a genuine and nice guy, but the saddest thing about his death was that it had to be covered up. It couldn't go into the media that a cop was brutally murdered in his own home. It'd definitely be pinned towards a gang and that gang could easily be the De Palma Family if the assailant played their cards right.

Mario had a lot of family but his death would have to be played off as if he just ran away. Money would be wired into his family's accounts and a runaway note could be forged electronically and sent to his close family members. A letter of resignation had to be forged and money had to be wired to the head of the police department too if they started asking questions. It was a big ass mess that could easily blow up with the wrong move.

The murder took place in Mario's apartment. Before Mario was killed, the assailant had recorded a video of him begging for his life and once he was finished with him, he sent the recording to Andy. In the video, he was already f-cked up and the assailant had chopped off two of his fingers. The video was graphic and it was hard listening to someone beg for their life especially while someone else was just laughing in their face, knowing that they were about to kill them no matter what. I couldn't imagine even seeing someone I was acquainted with in that position, so to know him and Andy were at least friends made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't imagine how she felt.

"Do you think it's appropriate or should we probably change clothes," Leo said after dead silence in the car. Could this girl shut up for one minute? Everyone was upset, sad and frustrated and here she was with the subtle jokes. I smacked my lips and she looked at me as if her question wasn't random. "I know I'm not the only one thinking it. We're going to see one of our good friends dead while dressed up as the Mystery Gang and Woody and Andy. Don't you think it's kind of insensitive? You're going to have blood all on your cowboy boots."

"It's not insensitive if you don't make it. We're arriving as fast as we can. I'm sure Mario would understand. He had a good sense of humor anyways," Rafael replied rationally. Thank God, he said something because if he didn't Andy would've and I doubt what she would say would be as rational. Her and Leo would've probably started some stupid ass argument.

"Man, we need to catch this guy or girl, whoever is doing this. Mario saved all of our asses from being in prison at least once," Lin said as she stared out the window. "He didn't deserve what ever happened to him."

When we got to the apartment, the door was unlocked. Everyone had their guns drawn, even myself. There was no telling what was going on within that apartment. Most likely, it was going to be quiet and vacant but it was always good to be on your toes. Andy took the lead as she slowly walked in. As soon as she stepped in, she lowered her gun as she stood there in took in the scene. Once we all got in, we couldn't help but do the same. What kind sick bastard was behind this? My lunch wanted to come back up but I held it down. I couldn't say the same for Rafael and Leo. While Leo puked right there in front of the door, Rafael ran to the nearest bathroom.

Mario was in f-cking pieces. The assailant had cut off each finger, each toe, his tongue, his penis and the rest of his body parts were also cut off, neatly. Someone with experience had to make such precise cuts. His body was all rearranged as if they were playing a f-cked up jigsaw puzzle. The killer had took the notion to put Mario's penis into his own mouth and it looked like they had to basically pull his mouth apart and break his jaw to put the penis in there. He probably died with his mouth closed and the assailant forced entry.