Chapter Eighteen

The knock on the door made my stomach churn and suddenly I felt the need to throw up. Facing Eric again was probably the dumbest idea ever. Yes, I wanted to come to terms with the past and finally get over it, but maybe I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready for him to get angry and possibly push me out of his life forever once I told him I was completely done with him romantically. I still wanted him as a friend and if he rejected me then I would be worse off than I was before. F-ck, I shouldn't have agreed to this. How could I get out of it at the last minute?

There was another knock. I swallowed hard. I couldn't just keep avoiding this. It was time for me to step up as a woman, give back his grandmother's ring and let him know what the deal was. Andy was in the picture now and I had to get rid of this Eric baggage before I could even think about us being an item. With force, I made myself stand up from the bed and walked over to my door. I opened it and came face to face with Eric.

He hadn't changed a bit. His honey blonde hair was pushed back in a business-like manner. He was wearing a tan, clean suit as if he had just got out of a business meeting or something. Eric was always the type of person to overdress for every occasion. He had to be the best-looking guy in the building and he normally was. When his brown eyes met mine, he put on a joyous smile before pulling me into a tight hug. It was a friendly hug and it only lasted for a few seconds. "What's up, Dee? No long time no see, huh? You look gorgeous, like damn, I didn't know if I knocked on the right door or not for a second," he joked.

I laughed but also rolled my eyes at him. "Thanks, Eric. You look good as well."

"I have the perfect place for us to go tonight. I did some research and there's karaoke night at this bar by the beach. I was thinking we could go and show up everyone there with our awesome singing skills." I couldn't sing for sh-t, but Eric was a pretty good singer. With my horrible voice and his angelic voice, we somehow balanced each other out. When we were together we did karaoke night every week. It was like a tradition of some sort. The bar we went to back home had a picture of us on their wall and it deemed us as the karaoke champions. I wondered if it was still there.

"Oh God. If I knew we were going to do karaoke, I would have worn my lucky karaoke shirt!"

"The ugly one that looks like something that a dad would wear in Hawaii? No, thanks! You always embarrassed me with that shirt. Plus, I think the crop top is pretty cute," he told me with a small smirk.

"Yeah, whatever. Let's go."

Eric had gotten a new sports car and during the ride to the bar, he was showing me all of the things it could do. He never treated himself to anything so it was nice to see him giggling and playing with his car like a little boy. "Nice new car. Nice new suit. You're turning into a real rich f-ckboy," I joked when he opened the door to the bar for me.

He pretended like he was going to hit me with the door before playfully pushing into the bar. The place was crowded with a bunch of people drinking and writing on papers. A hostess greeted us and handed us a sheet of paper. "Hey, guys! Tonight is karaoke night! We're doing couples tonight, so if you two are interested please just fill out the paper and turn it in at the bar within the next hour. We'll get started then."

I muttered a few curse words under my breath. Of course, the night that I came with my ex was f-cking couples' night. Way to make things awkward. Eric took the paper and we found ourselves a booth. He chuckled as he silently read from the paper. "Romantic songs only. Don't be afraid to get touchy on the stage. It might make the judges love you even more. To get yourself loose, we have half off drinks tonight as well!"

I laughed at how lame the paper was and snatched it from Eric. "I don't know what you're thinking but we're not getting touchy. We're winning this clean," I told him before he got any ideas.