Chapter 17. Strolling (Part 3)

"Geez, Nicky, why didn't you tell me that we were gonna plunge into the fountain? I've drunk  the water! Eeeek!" I grumble petulantly, hitting Nicky on his shoulders.

"Okay, sorry, we were really in a hurry and I didn’t know where to hide. At least my idea worked out! See?" he smiles proudly to himself and gestures to the now empty St. Stephen's Green that was teeming with people just a few minutes ago.

Unbelievable. They thought that we had already left the park so they went searching for us outside the vicinity of St. Stephen's Green. Now, we're the only two left in here, plus the waterfowls.

All blame to that Aussie, whoever she is.

Our clothes are dripping wet as though we had stayed under the rain. I sat at the edge of the fountain. Looking at my reflection in the water, I laugh.

"What's so funny?" Nicky asks, looking at me from head to toe.

"I look like a drowned cat, don't I?" Then, I burst into laughter again.

The strands of my blonde hair stick together when wet and my clothing isn't helping. With my light brown blouse and a pair of white jeans, I can be mistaken to a Red Tabby cat. (just google it lol)

"Seriously? You're laughing at yourself?"

I don't know what kind of silly spirit has taken over my body, but I just laugh even harder. "Haha... just don't mind me. I know, it's weird, but I just find it funny"

Nicky shakes his head, amused. "Stop laughing now, you're creeping me out, Lauren."

"Okay," I say, trying to act serious and plastering a blank expression on my face but still, I fail.

"I'm scared you're slowly turning into a psycho"

"I'm not!" I scoff.

Nicky turns away from me and walks off without a second glance. What have I said or done? Am I that creepy?

"Hey!" I call him out and follow suit. "What are you do—“

I stop in my tracks as I see him taking off his shirt and squeezing the water out of it. Oh my freaking holy gum. He has his top off! 

My eyes voluntarily dart towards his tattoo that goes across his lower back. It’s a Celtic design. I bet it was hurtful to have that tattooed near the spine. But I think it's cool, right?

"What are you looking at?" 

I literally jump off of my place at Nicky's sudden inquiry. I quickly turn my gaze away from him, blushing in embarrassment. "Uh... nothing"

I can’t tell what his expressions are, but I hear him say, "We have to dry our clothes before we can go stroll around again." 

"Y-yeah, right" I just reply without thinking about how stupid I sound.

"And, let's forget about the bet. We can't buy anything if our paper bills are all wet. No coffee at Bewley's for now."

Unconsciously, I nod again. For once, my mouth clamps shut not because I have no words to say nor can’t think of any; but because… well, I don’t know.

We remain in silence for a few minutes before we decide to leave the park and head to the North Wall Quay whilst waiting ‘til our clothes go dry enough for others to not laugh at us. There, the majestic view of Dublin City and its amazing skyscrapers enchant us as we watch the ships dock.

When the clock hits past noon, Nicky and I go strolling around again. At every stretch of the road we pass by, there are buskers fighting for attention from the crowd. We even dance to the music like goobers and throw some wet penny into their caps on the ground. That’s the advantage of not being recognized by the people around you. They may laugh at you, but you wouldn’t feel self-conscious because they have no idea of who you are.