The Escape: James- Part 29

Hi everyone! Welcome back!

Okay, hold on to your tissue for this one! Another tearful moment, but I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel! We are sooooooo close!!!

"Liana, I have attached a document with the letter. I wouldn't trust anyone else with this...I need you to promise me you will take care of everything."

As I hear the men exiting the building and run towards us Mr. Rolland demanded, "Promise me, Liana!"

"Ye-yes, sir!" I yell back as he stands guard in front of me.

"Now run! Liana, for the love of God! Run!"

       I grabbed Mr

       I grabbed Mr. Rolland close and hugged him one last time. We didn't have the pleasure of good-byes or until we meet again. It was just a brush of luck I had a chance to hug the one man I considered to be a grandfather or even a father I always wished to have.

I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. I stayed off the main roads as a few of James's men drove by looking for me with dim headlights casting over the empty streets. I knew James would look for me in the obvious places, so I didn't head straight home.

I heard a man yell, "I saw her run this way!" right before I squatted at the bottom of a large willow tree.

I closed my eyes and prayed for safekeeping while the footsteps came closer and closer. Right as the person approached the front of the tree, I peeked over to see who was there. It was a man with caramel skin and slicked back hair.

He yelled past the tree, "There is nothing here! She must have gone the other way!"

It was the town's deputy. James seemed to have everyone involved, even the law. I listened to the crackling of the branches and crunching of the crisp leaves. I begged silently,

Go away...please just go away.

The man finally disappeared forcing me to realize just how loud my heart had been beating.

The reality that I couldn't turn to the police for help gave me enough motivation to never stop running.

I finally arrived at the gas station safe and sound.

I grabbed the spare key and entered through the back door. I looked around the storage room, giving one last look to all the wonderful memories I had created there. There were so many of them- too many to cry over because I was living in utter fear for my life.

There was a small shelf with a few of my extra belongings in another room across the hallway. I decided it would be for the best to go get them instead of going home. I quietly crept across the hallway feeling scared to make any noise or sudden movement. I also didn't want any drive-byes to see me through the windows.