Shocked: Part 10

Hi everyone! Welcome back!

I can't wait to see how this chapter will pan out!

Are you liking my story so far? I truly hope so! Hugs everyone!

  He finally made one comment, a single answer that stopped every pulsing sound within my fearful body. He hissed through his teeth, "She's not your mother."  

"  

       The words didn't sound possible. My ears burned, and my mind just went...blank. It was as if I couldn't find the proper feeling to express the shocking news; grief-stricken, furious, thrilled, baffled -there was just...nothing there.

Harley could have said anything behind that loaded gun. I would have just let it be. I would have let him say what he had to say until I helped him remove his finger from that surprisingly steady trigger, but this "statement" was something I had to make sure I heard clearly just one more time. I wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering from some crazy illusion. I asked in partial shock, "What did you just say, Harley?"

He repeated bitterly through his gritted teeth, "I said... she is not your mother."

My mom's foot slammed hard against the crisp leaves upon the ground. She warned in a high-pitched scream, "That's enough, Harley!"

I stood there hearing only half the screeching sounds bellowing from her mouth. It was as if she was there, but her tongue, her lips, and every part of the wicked features upon her face were stuck in a slow mode.

I stare back towards Harley's vengeful eyes. His mouth never moved. He just watched and listened.

Harley's body was nothing more than a blur and my mom was nothing more than a faded background. The only object that was crystal clear was his slotted grey eyes and the gun in his hand. I must admit for a single moment I couldn't help but have a small piece of doubt in our trust, but I also remember how manipulative my mom always was. That was the one factor that kept me together. I had to ignore any self-doubts and trust issues against Harley - even if he was the one holding the weapon. I looked him in the eye- staring, never looking away until he returned with some recognition- even if it was a small one.

His eyes, they were lost.It was if they were half empty and half sad. I began to speak to him and only him- allowing the world around us disappear, "Harley, talk to me. Please, just tell me what you meant. I must know. I won't hold it against you. I promise."

He calmed down just enough to answer me without losing his patients with my idiotic questions. He said, "There is no other way to say it. She is not your mother. She just adopted you for the financial benefits, Liana."

I looked towards my mom. I observed her features. They never really resembled mine. The only similarity was our hair color. My eyes are aqua-blue and hers are hazelnut-brown. Her nose is long and pointed -mine rounds off at the bridge. She has pale ivory skin and mine is naturally olive. I never thought much about it before, because I never saw my real father.

They say being betrayed by someone you love hurts worse than a thousand blades cutting through your skin, they were right. I hate it when they are right.

Once Harley had spoken the truth of my genetic background, it should have been easier to walk away from every bit of heartache, go back and live in my little bubble as she called it, but I couldn't. I sat there staring at them both. I realized my plan had not only backfired, it had bounced all over the place, landing right back into the center of my lap. I had to deal with the consequences. I had to choose whether to believe her or Harley. I looked towards my mom and asked, "What the hell is he talking about Mama, and you better tell me the truth!"

Her face went pale. She looked as if she had seen a ghost. She began to slowly back away from us shaking her head vigorously. I remember thinking, What the hell is going on? Could it be true? But why?

She stumbled backward against the old broken tree stump. She answered in a cowardly tone, "Nothing! He's talking about nothing!"

She commanded," Liana, you are coming with me! We are going home right this instant!"

The idea that I had spent almost eighteen years of my life with a stranger was settling quite well. Matter of fact, for some odd reason that day, for every moment she had made my world miserable I realized I didn't have to listen to her painful words anymore.

I stood firmly in my spot. I crossed my arms and never moved an ounce, "I'm not going anywhere! I am not going anywhere unless you are willing to tell me the truth!"

"She won't," Harley said in a gruff voice.

I looked towards her. She was shaking terribly. I looked back to Harley. He was calm and steady, never moving his aim from her forehead.

I asked angrily, "Why not?"

Harley appeared sad. I watched as his anger slowly washed away, and pity swept across his expressions, "She was sworn to secrecy by my family."

The only thought that filtered through to my tongue was, "WHAT THE HELL!"

She continued shaking her head over and over repeatedly.

I replied in utter shock, "Your family! Your family would make my mother," I pointed in her direction, "I mean this woman swear to secrecy!"

He answered numbly, never moving his gun, "Yes."

I finally looked away. Unable to handle the thought that was creeping through my stomach. I kept it down along with the merging need to vomit at any moment. I asked nervously, "B-But why?"

The answer hit me like someone punching me square in the abdomen.

Harley said angrily to her face rather than mine, "Because, she was sleeping with my Dad."

Hearing his response caused me to back away from them both. Step by step I fumbled towards the eerie pond that lay hidden in the dark behind the overgrown willow tree. I wanted to jump in and hope that some monstrous beast would consume me below because there was one factor crept throughout my drowning thoughts, "Harley! That can't be true! Th-that would mean yo-you're my-"

Those were the last words I said that day before I blacked out upon the slippery rocks.

Okay! That's a wrap! 

This chapter begins just a small part of Liana's chaotic past, but trust me it all is a part of the future to come!

Please leave you hugs, loves, comments and suggestions below!