Chapter 12 // Storytime

Elizabeth's POV

"Well to start off, you must know that we all go way back," Ian motions his hands as he speaks, "Francisco included."

Francisco? Didn't he just move here? How do they all go way back? And why have I not noticed? It sort of makes sense because, I thought Francisco made friends with the boys really quick. I thought he was just very social.

"Back when we were in Elementary, it was only Lucas, Pace and myself," he brings his hands to his chest. I nod, letting him know that he is able to continue. "There was a new kid in school, and it was little ol' Francisco Griffins."

Francisco Griffins. It sounds like he was raised in a farm. He looks far from hillbilly. Whoops, was that offensive?

"Lucas introduced us to Francisco," Ian continues. I haven't noticed when he says Lucas and Francisco, he sounds like those Americans that try so hard to speak Spanish. Bless his soul.

"Okay, then?" I nod.

"They became really close. Spent every recess and lunch together," he replies as he leans deeper into the couch, "slowly Lucas stopped talking to us and started hanging out more with Francisco."

"So he left ya'll?" I look into his eyes and he rolls them. I'll just shut up and listen.

"When we were in fifth grade, he invited us to his birthday party and we all attended," he huffs as if he's remembering something painful, "Francisco was there and so was this other kid."

"Who was the other kid?" I ask curiously.

"Dammit Elizabeth! Let me tell the fucking story," he groans as he throws his head back.

Okay okay, I should be quiet.

"Anyways, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted again," he rolls his eyes, "the other kid was Martin." He smiles as his lips leave the name of his closest friend. Ian and Martin are super close and it warms my black soul; giving it color. "Martin instantly became my friend and I felt like that was my Francisco to Lucas."

I awe and Ian gives me a small grin before he takes in a breath to continue.

"That left Pace by himself," he looks down at his hands, that rest on his lap, "Pace decided that he didn't want to be our friend anymore because he wasn't always invited to hang with us."

I frown a little bit, thinking about the ten year old Pace, all by himself. Poor child.

"After a few months, I found out that Francisco was bullying Pace," he sighs, "so I told Lucas about it."

"Woah, seriously?" I finally speak up after a few minutes of staying silent.

"Yeah, so Lucas asked Francisco if it was true," he looks away from me, "Lucas also told him that I was the one who informed him, so Francisco came after me."

I begin to feel a weird feeling in my gut. I feel like all the pizza I ate earlier, is now swirling around in my stomach. It's not a good feeling.

"Francisco once found me in the boy's restroom and attacked me there," his voice cracks at the end.

Is he going to cry?

"What did Francisco do?" I dare myself to ask, quietly and slowly.

"He beat me up badly, then dipped my head in the toilet and flushed it," his words come out rushed and shaky.

I'm going to throw up.

I gag in response and Ian nods.

"Yeah, it was horrible," he inhales deeply.

"I bet," I scrunch my nose up, in disgust.

"I stopped talking to all of them," he continues, "including Martin."

"But why, Martin had nothing to do with it," I frown.

"My eleven year old self didn't know that," he shakes his head, "I just thought it would be easier to avoid them."

I nod in reply and he leans back into the couch.

"Before I continue, would you like a cigarette?" He asks as he takes out a pack from his pocket.

"I prefer a joint," I politely decline his offer. I always thought it was rude to say no to someone who offers you a cigarette or a blunt. Drugs cost money.

"Gotcha," he nods. "Do I keep going?"

The front door opens and Quade is revealed.

"You okay?" I ask as I see his long face.

"Sure," he nods as he keeps his head down and walks to the stairs.

What could Francisco have possibly said, to make Quade upset?

He disappears from sight and I turn my attention back to Ian.

"Continue," I say. He's lighting up his cigarette and I wait for him to inhale and exhale.

"So," he says as he blows out the smoke. I hate the smell of it. Reminds me of all the bad times in my childhood with my father. I miss him dearly, though. May he rest in peace. "When we entered middle school, I began to speak to Pace again."

I smile when Pace is brought up in the story again.

"We clicked easily again," he grins, "we would hang out all the time, and most of our classes were together."

He takes a puff from his cigarette again and keeps it between his index finger and his middle finger. He looks so good right now. His eyes are turning lightly red and his hair is swooping down to his forehead. Everyone points him out as the stupid one from the group, but he really isn't.

"I told Pace what Francisco did to me," he leans back into the couch, again. "He was mad and didn't control his emotions."

The weird feeling in my stomach returns.

"He went looking for him," he exhales, "he didn't want anyone else to get bullied by him ever again." I smile at how brave Pace seemed. Pace is a sweet guy. I like him very much.

"I told him to ignore it but he didn't listen to me," he sticks out his tongue and wets his fingers with it, "things got extremely out of control." He puts out the cigarette with his fingers.

"How?" I ask, very interested into his story.

"Pace ended up beating up Francisco," he says and I gasp. Woah, the big bad wolf got taken down. Ironically, to be quiet honest.

"Lucas found out and didn't do anything about it," he shakes his head.

"What was Lucas supposed to do?" I roll my eyes.

"Francisco expected him to stand up for him," he sighs, "but he didn't."

"Is that why Francisco is upset with him?" I ask, knowing the obvious answer.

"Yes," he responds. How can we still be mad at something that happened like four years ago?

Makes sense I guess, but it's pretty dumb to be mad at someone for not wanting to get in trouble for something that stupid. I know if I were Lucas, I would have done the same. Francisco is dumb for thinking otherwise.

"I'm surprised that you're becoming close with Lucas," Ian says, "I thought you would hate him the most."

"Why?" I laugh. Lucas is really nice, I don't get it?

"Because he's really mean," he looks at me like I've grown three heads.

"No he is not!" I defend my new bestie. Ew bestie. I hate that word.

"Oh little ol' Elizabeth," he shakes his head as he laughs, "you are just getting to know him."

"He's been nice to me so far," I smile.

"Yeah, 'cause both of you are just as mean," he chuckles as his eyes begin to squint.

I laugh at his comment and the way he looks. Stupid ol' Ian.

Maybe that's why he's the stupid one. I see it now.

- Bobbiewrites