Chapter 2

Makeena's p.o.v.

I woke up to the sun shining through my window. The thick curtains only allowed a little light to sneak through the tight stitches. I smiled as I yawned and strecthed. But my smile quickly vanished at the memory of last night.

My boss, Terrence, was my mate and he rejected me. If he didn't want me who would? Tears brimmed my eyes at the memory of him rejecting me.

  I quickly blinked them away. No I wouldn't cry over him. 'But I feel like crying' my wolf said inside my head. I sighed and got out of my new bed, at least for three more months.

  I made my way to my Duffel bag and started pulling all my clothes out. I had been to sad last night to unpack.

  I pulled the first drawer of my dresser open and started putting my clothes inside. I saw a pair of tight blue Jean capris and a tight plain purple tee shirt. I slipped on a pair of black and purple Nike sneakers.

  I didn't have any reason to dress up. Yea my boss was my mate but he rejected me. I looked at the clock on my nightstand and it said 7:55 a.m.

  Great I had five minutes to get down the stairs and into the kitchen for my first assignment as the new maid.

  I jerked my door open and slammed it shut running down the stairs to the kitchen. I raced to the kitchen stopping a few feet away to compose myself.

  I took a few deep breaths and walked inside like I hadn't just ran down here.

  "Oh Makeena I see you made it on time by thirty seconds." Jeremiah said looking up from the watch on his wrist. Dang they were serious about time management.

"Mr.White should be down shortly to give you your assignment. " he said walking towards the doorway. What? There was no way I could deal with seeing him. It would just open the fresh cuts in my heart.

"Can't you just tell me?" I asked. He stopped at the doorway.

  "Only Mr.White gives the orders." he said not turning around as he continued to walk away. I sighed. Great.

  I walked to the countertops and leaned it crossing my arms and looked at the ground.

My head slightly lifted as I smelt cinnamon. But I decided it was best not to make eye contact.

  "I need you to go clean the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms. Also I'm going to need you to go outside where the garden is and help the gardener with the vines and weeds. After that I need you to wash the dishes we will use during breakfast and lunch. After you have finished everything you can come and eat dinner." his silk voice said.

  My eyes widened. Who did he think I was, Superwoman?

"Look at me while I speak to you!" He shouted making me jump. I raised my eyes up to find his hard gaze staring at me. I shrank back slightly. He noticed my fear and his features softened for a second before snapping back to stone.

  "Go!" He said pointing towards the door. I nodded and scurried out of the room. Jeremiah stood by the stairs holding a black apron and cleaning supplies.

  I quickly took them and made my way up the stairs. I went to the first bathroom and slipped on my apron. I groaned when I realized there were three bathrooms on the top floor.

I grabbed the toilet solution and quickly started scrubbing, glad Jeremiah had given me thick yellow rubber gloves. I scrubbed the sink,bathtub and mopped the floor. I took the trash out and sighed in relief as I finished. My relieved sigh turned into a groan as I realized there were two more bathrooms.

  After I finished with the bathrooms I made my way outside. I saw a man working in a garden. I walked up to him looking at the garden. It wasn't very big, just had a few rows of fruits and vegetables.

  The man raised his head up and smiled at me. He looked in his sixties with wrinkles along his eyes and hands.

"You must be the new maid Makeena, I'm Mark. " he said extending his green glove covered hand for me to shake. I quickly shakes his hand smiling at him.

  "Nice to meet you." I said. I walked into the garden looking around.

  "Okay now all you have to do is pick the weeds surrounding the growing vegetation and fruits." he said. I nodded as I took a pair of green gloves from his hands.

  I started pulling weeds. I looked over at Mark to see him holding his back in pain. I jerked up.

  "Why don't you just let ne do this?  I'm plenty capable of pulling a few weeds." I said smiling.

  "I can't leave unless the boss says." he said shaking his head sadly.

  "Well I'll tell the boss I sent you home, now go." I said sternly. He beamed at me.

  "Thank you so much." he said hugging me. I watched as he walked with a slight limp towards his truck.

  He was too old to be out here bending over and pulling weeds.

  I smiled as he drove away knowing he would be getting some rest.

I quickly returned to my work pulling as many weeds as I could before my hands started to ache in pain. I rose up from my knees shaking my sore and raw hands.

I exited the garden walking towards the vines growing against the house. I slightly pulled on one. It didn't loosen. I tugged hardly on it leaning back using my full weight to loosen it.

  I shrieked in surprise as the vine broke and fell to ground with me as it's partner. I groaned in pain pushing the vine of me.

  I was slowly pulled to my feet by strong gentle arms as the scent if cinnamon filled my nose. It was him.

  He turned me to face him. "Are you okay? Did you get hurt? " he asked.

  "No I'm fine." I said smiling. Maybe he did care.

  "His worried expression turned to stone as he released me. I suddenly felt cold.

  "Uh..good. Wouldn't want to have to hire a new maid." he said.

My eyes narrowed in anger. That jerk! I stormed past him wiping away my tears.

  I rushed into the kitchen and quickly washed the few dishes. I made myself a sandwich rushing to my room. Now I really couldn't face him.

  He's such a jerk...a jerk that also happens to be my mate.