twenty-eight

I wake up to a loud vibrating noise that's my phone ringing.

The clock reads 7:06 a.m. The caller I.D. is unknown. "Hello?"

Silence.

"Hello?"

Still silence.

Then a sudden thought comes to mind. What if it's Dean? My heart starts racing and without thinking I speak up, "Dean is that you?"

Silence.

Seconds later the person calling hangs up. I lock my phone feeling quite disappointed. I'm angry at Dean and very hurt yet every atom in my body wants him to call me.

I want to hear his voice and see his face again.

I want to so bad.

When my phone rings again I get a little too excited and answer immediately. "Dean?"

"Actually, its Brie. Sorry to disappoint you."

"Oh. Hey Brie."

"Wow you sound so excited."

"Sorry, I just woke up and ..."

"And you thought I was Dean calling."

"Yeah."

"Hmm. I'm in town visiting my mom. Want to go out for coffee?"

"Sure."

"Great, I need to talk to you about some things."

>>>

"Can we stop at the grocery store first?"

"Yes, go ahead."

"Alrighty. So do tell me what's going on with you?"

She pulls in a grocery store as I keep looking  out the window. "I don't know. I'm tired of feeling so down. I'm ready to move on with my life except I don't know how to."

"What did you think of, Randy?"

"What does Randy have to do with this?"

"Well you said you're ready to move on so why not try moving on with, Randy?"

"Who says I'm talking about a guy?"

Brie glances at me when she's done parking her car. "Come on, Aj, I'm not stupid."

"Okay fine its about, Dean but I don't know. I'm not ready to jump into conclusions and like randomly start dating, Randy. Plus I don't even know if he likes me. He probably thought I was super weird after that night."

"I'm not saying to date, Randy. Just go out with him and hang out you don't have to date. After my breakup I felt the same way you did until I decided to get over it completely. Then Randy introduced me to Roman. He's such a king! He's so handsome too ah. Every time I look at him I melt. He's just so, so, perfect! And I want to-"

Brie stops blabbing when she realizes she got off topic. "Sorry, I'm blabbing too much about him. He's just too precious." She giggles.