6

Alex's P.O.V

Why were there so many people?

I shut the large velvet curtains, covering the backstage area after taking a quick peek at the audience arriving, taking their seats in the school's vast main hall, I attempted to take breaths in and out like normal people do, yet to no avail.
I watched as Rebecca strutted to her group confidently and immediately began singing perfectly like angels. We are so going to lose. To them, this is probably minor but we have never performed to a crowd in our life.

I watched as the rest were trying to remember the lyrics in front of me. Meanwhile, I was lost for words.
"Alex? Alex!" Brook says a little louder so I finally tune in.
"Wha- I'm sorry guys, I'm just, really, really nervous..." I trail off, looking at Rebecca and her gang consisting of her two side girls and the two minion jock heads who trail after her and herself as the lead of course.

She gives me a smug smirk with a side eye and I turn my gaze back down to avoid her stare. I can hear the click of her heels walking towards us.
"Uh oh, wicked witch of the west, 6 'o' clock." Matt mutters under his breath.
"Hiya freaks!" She says in her annoyingly high pitched voice.

"Listen, good luck up there and don't worry, there's nothing to be worried about! It'll be over before you losers know it!" She cackles before turning on her heel back to her minions.
"She really is a she-devil" Daniel appears after she leaves causing me to smile.
"Yep" I say, popping the p.

"Good luck guys, I know you can win" he says before giving me a slight wink.
"Thanks blue eyes but Rebecca has other plans" I say before we turn to listen to her perfect angelic singing. She then turns her head to us smirking,
"Oh Daniel, don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to listen to my amazing voice on stage!" She winks causing me to gag after she walks away.

"Ew." Daniel says bluntly, shuddering at her actions causing me to laugh and smile wider.
Rebecca and her crew were performing now and we slightly pull the large red curtain apart to get a good view.
"If I was you, I'd wanna be me toooooooo" Rebecca went on an amazingly perfect long note to finish with and the audience erupted into applause and cheers.

"We're doomed" I breath and Daniel sets his hands on my shoulders,
"No, you can do it, I believe in you butterfly" he assures, mesmerising me with his bright ocean blue eyes.
Before I can reply, one of the teaching staff  come and ask us to begin getting ready on stage.

I take a look at the stage, peering from the slightly ajar curtain, the microphones were set up, the amplifiers, the lights up. The audience were waiting, for us. We stepped out and it remained silent, puzzling looks were plastered on all their faces at the strange newcomers of the annual school battle of the bands.

I gulped and walked towards the microphone as did the rest. My mouth was dry and parched for words,
"H-Hi" I stuttered into the microphone causing it so screech, filling the entire hall. People laughed and some shot us dirty looks. At this point, the bright white lights were blinding me.

"What's the name of your band?" asked one of the judges.
"Um..." I trailed off, we were not prepared for this.

"Rhythmix "

We all said simultaneously and began smiling, looking at one another with a surge of hope and loosening up slightly. I'd like to say great minds think alike but given our situation I don't think exactly had "great minds".

"Alright, Rhythmix, whenever you're ready" he continued.

I gulped, grabbing the microphone tightly, scanning the various faces in the crowd but only the ones I could make out of course, what with being blinded by the all too bright spotlight.
As I open my mouth to begin, everything goes into complete darkness.