Chapter 4

Geno sat alone once again, thinking of all the wonderful things that Reaper had told him about. He remembered how the water on the lake shimmered in the moonlight, and how the flowers would whisper secrets as he sat in the dark, shadowy grass. "How long until he comes back?" Geno asked himself, his voice echoing through the void.

Reaper stood still and silent, guilt settling deep inside him, filling his chest with a stinging feeling. "Why won't I kill him?!" He shouted, stomping his foot.

He held back his tears. "I can't... I just met him... but he's so... Interesting. Unique. Beautiful..." Reaper said to himself. "But I need to do my job.

Just one touch and it will be over." He sat down on the floor, his elbow resting on his knee, his head slumped into his hand. "I can't let myself fall for someone who I'm supposed to kill." He quietly said, his voice breaking from the pain in his chest that stung ever so painfully. "I can't..."

Hours passed as Geno sat alone, his tired eye closing as he waited patiently for Reaper to come back. "He said he'd bring things to do! I can't wait. I haven't played board games or drawn a picture in so long!" Lying on his back he sighed. "I can't wait to see him again."

"Maybe just a little check in won't hurt." Reaper said, standing up and nearly opening the portal before remembering to bring things for them to do. He grabbed a poetry book, a board game, and some cards. He opened the portal, walked through, and was greeted with Geno's refreshing smiling face.

"Hey. I brought some stuff." Geno's face lit up. "Finally!" Gene said, rolling his eye. "Oh come on, Geno, it's been a few hours at most." Reaper sat next to Geno.

Reaper taught Geno how to play cards and how to cheat during a board game. An hour passed and Reaper had to be on his way.

He grabbed the book. "Before I go, I'd like to introduce you to 'poetry'. You've most likely heard of it a while ago." He opened the book and stared into Geno's eyes. Geno's face got hot.

He blushed but quickly hid his face, letting it cool down. Reaper cleared his throat.

"A smile as deep as the ocean. As pure as the air we breathe. There was no way of knowing, I couldn't bring myself to leave. Eyes that sparkle as if they were stars, the connection between our broken hearts."

Reaper looked over at Geno's face, the surprise expression made him snicker. "You can keep it if you want."

He dropped the book in front of Geno, careful not to touch him. Geno smiled. "Th-thank you, Reaper." He blushed and as Reaper walks through the portal that breaks their connection, he held the book close to his chest, happiness filling his soul.

~Asher <3