21

(I cried writing this.)

Sob after sob leaves the girl's mouth. As the girl was storming to the drop off, she came to cross the street. Just when she thought she experienced true pain (Richie), the earth had to serve her worst.

As the girl was crossing the street, she caught a glimpse of what she knew she had seen before. The clown. Fear halted her in the road, and before she knew it, a car was coming straight for her.

The last thing she remembers is Novocane barking and nudging her out of the road.

Ivy was saved.

Novocane was not.

The car didn't even stop to check on the girl or her dog.

Despite her crying and panic, she managed to pull her dog into the woods where it was safe. Now, here she is, huddled over her bleeding and whining dog.

"O-Oh my god..." she repeats, trying to figure out what to do. Her shaky hands unclip her dogs service vest, to which Novocane whines in response. "Y-You're okay, it's okay, e-everything is going to be okay.." Ivy assures through loud sobs.

Novocane only stares at her owner with glassy eyes. She licks at her owners hand as she hears the sound of beeping come from Ivy's watch.

"You're not going to die!" Ivy shouts, desperately trying to keep the dog awake. "No!Y-You can't...please, please! You're all I have..." Novocane can only whine in response. The dogs ribs are terribly crushed, and blood is gushing from a gash on her side.

Ivy continuously shakes her head, not bothering to wipe away her tears. She doesn't even mind the blood she has all over her hands. She just wants Novocane to be okay.

The losers have found her at this point, watching sorrowfully as the girl cries into her dog. They can't help but shed a few tears of their own, not really being able to do anything but stand there and watch.

"D-Do you want me to sing?" Ivy quietly offers. Novocane quietly barks in response. Ivy chuckles. "You know, I don't speak dog so you'll have to be more specific. Bark once for the first option, or twice for no." She jokes, quoting words she had once said before.

(Play song here)

Novocane barks once, causing the girl to shakily smile.

Ivy's hand carefully pets the dog's head as she begins to sing softly.

"Now, the night is coming to an end..."

Novocane's ears perk up a bit at Ivy's voice. It sounds shaky, but it's still very relaxing. As she sings the lines, Ivy's hands smooth at the dogs fur. She takes this opportunity to remember every detail of Novocane. From the way her fur looks, to the way it feels against her hands.

"...stay alive, stay alive for me. You will die, but now your life is free, take pride in what is sure to die..."

Her voice quivers at the lyrics, knowing full and well that the chances of her long time friend surviving are low. She continues to sing, even when her eyes blur over with tears. Even when her voice cracks a little. Novocane licks at Ivy's hand, a thankful gesture.

"I will fear the night again....I hope I'm not my only friend..."

Slowly, the dog's breathing begins to decrease. This further panics Ivy, causing her to shake and breathe heavy. Her watch/heart monitor is beeping out of control. As the girls singing comes to an end, Novocane's eyes slowly begin to close. And as they shut completely, Ivy's world fades away around her.

"NO NO NO!" She begs, clutching onto her dog tightly. "O-Oh god...oh no...please!"

It's too late though. Novocane is gone.

"I love you! I love you so much..." she whimpers. Her shaky hands unclip the dogs collar, deciding to keep it for herself.

Bill let's out a soft sob as he watches his friend desperately hug at her dog, and he soon finds himself moving forward and engulfing her in a hug. The others follow, crowding into a group hug and crying loudly together.

They lost two friends in a day.