Battle for the Ages Part 2: Chapter 15

((Synopsis: The true battle begins, and ends.))  

The final twenty-four hours before the war officially began felt as if the world stopped turning. Time went slowly, and every little task became tiring and tedious. Our lords were restless, itching to finally end this feud once and for all.

Lady Gwen and Cameron had just finished clearing the catacombs to accommodate all of the civilians and were leading them deep underground. Cameron helped the last few inside, and held the door open for Gwen, following her inside and sealing the door shut behind them. Neither of them were fighting today, and despite being claustrophobic, Gwen knew her place was down here.

As the sun began to set and the bright blue sky melded into a pinkish-orange, the Southern battalion pressed on, over half of the journey completed, and those who would be partaking in the battle among the Western alliance were preparing themselves. The sharpening of swords and polishing of metal plates echoing through the air, the knight aesthetic was strong.

"Is the armor too tight?" Brick was strapping the leather straps of the arm wear onto her, and Jo rolled her eyes, a hint of sarcasm in her voice, "Yeah, because we have the capabilities to stretch out the metal and make it looser." "Jo, I'm serious. Are you okay?" The Queen eyed her reflection in the nearby mirror, readjusting the helmet on her head, "I'll be fine, Soggy-Drawers. You just focus on keeping yourself alive."

Dawn pulled a bronze chest plate over her head and was wrapping the leather straps around her tiny waist. Scott stared at her, "Seriously, Pixie? You should have lighter armor than that on!" The pale maiden scoffed, "And why is that?" Tossing one of his lady's potion bottles in his hand, he looked away from her, slightly embarrassed. "I was just thinking if it was . . . heavy on you, considering how tiny you are."

She rolled her eyes, a small genuine smile curving from her mouth as she patted him on the head, "That's very kind of you to consider, but I think I can handle it." Scott blew some stray hairs from his line of sight, and he relaxed the muscles in his face, "If you're sure . . ."

Suddenly, an alarm blared into the Lords' ears, alerting them that the cavalry was approaching, and quickly. The men and women collected in the room shared a collective look filled with respect and courage, Dawn feeling an extreme prideful warmth flowing through them all. Lord Duncan called to order, standing on a chair and proclaiming a small speech.

"My brave friends, today is the day we have all been pining for! Today, we have come together as a stronger force, and as one, we will vanquish our common enemy and bring peace to the land. Verily shall it be in our command, hence, and forthwith!" Jo raised a curious eyebrow, and interrupted his decree, "Okay, just one question. What the fuck does that last part mean?"

Duncan laughed awkwardly, lowering his hand slightly in embarrassment, "I remembered it from a party game I played a few years ago . . . I thought it sounded cool." Courtney rolled her eyes, clearly tired of this nonsense, and she dragged her consort off of the chair and she took up the position herself.

"Look, we're going to war, people! There is absolutely no way we will allow these losers any sort of victory after all they've done to us! Burning our homes, hurting our people, injuring us to the point of greeting our fallen comrades at the pearly gates, clearly, revenge is inevitable. Now, in the name of all of our great kingdoms, let's take this confident sack of shit DOWN!"

And with that, Courtney jumped from the chair, and sprinted towards the door, kicking it down in a hubris-fueled strike. Duncan followed behind her, and the others followed suit. A battle cry rising into the atmosphere, the brave warriors stationing themselves in their strategic areas.