Fighting Lightning: Chapter 7

((Synopsis: After failing to convince Lightning to back down, Brick and Duncan are forced to fend for the safety of Duncan's kingdom, and Brick's pride.))

Meanwhile, back at the Northwestern front gate, Brick and Duncan stood atop the stone wall. They were face to face with a massive wave of Southern soldiers, Lord Lightning leading them from the front of the army.

"I hope you have a plan, army dork," Duncan called from his side of the gate, Brick yelling back at him reassuringly, "Just follow my lead!"

"Hey losers!" an extremely stretched voice called from below, and Brick groaned under his breath. Lightning started waving his hands dramatically, "Down here, you see me?! You see the Lightning?!? Hello?"

Duncan shook his head and looked down at him. He halfheartedly called back down, "Yeah, I see you, Lord Headcase. What do you want?" Brick sneered awkwardly at him, trying to tell him to cut the attitude, but he never noticed.

Lightning yelled to Duncan, "Hey man, Lightning thought what I want was obvious! Sha-tell you what, I'll let you surrender your palace, and then I won't go striking the place down like I did with Creepy Girl's castle."

Brick stared incredulously at the Lord below, his fists clenching in anger. Duncan eyed him curiously, making Lightning burst into maniacal laughter. "Yeah, I torched the place. Smelled pretty good, kinda like steak for some reason. Not sure why though. It's a good thing the Lightning stopped here first, otherwise, I would've had to spend another three hours riding over to Jo's castle..."

"WHAT BUSINESS DO YOU HAVE AT OUR CASTLE?!" Brick interrupted, his tone turning darker. Lightning cocked his head, confused. "Your castle? Man, that dude Jo has all the power! You have pretty much no power!" The cadet growled to himself, and Duncan tried to calm him down.

"I mean, sha-think about it! You're legit like a total dog to him, he's using you, dude. I mean, I know you like him, which is weird but Lightning don't judge, but you gotta act like a man for once!" At this point, the delinquent was clenching his arms around Brick's chest to keep him from tackling the opposition.

"Brick, calm down! What about the 'following your lead' crap you were spitting earlier?" Brick kept squirming, furiously calling out the Southern lord, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA, ABSOLUTELY NONE. YOU'RE THE MOST IGNORANT AND ABSENT-MINDED KING TO EVER EXIST! JO AND I ARE EQUALS, EQUAL REIGN, EQUAL CONTROL, EQUAL RESPECT. BUT YOU HAVE NOTHING, YOU'RE PATHETIC, PATHETIC!"

Duncan started to panic, especially when Lightning gave his men the order. "Pathetic? Are YOU CALLING THE LIGHTNING PATHETIC? I'LL SHOW YOU PATHETIC!" Duncan yelled back to him, "LIGHTNING CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS?" "TAKE THE GATE, MEN!"

Hundreds of troops burst into action, charging towards the gate at full force. All of the gatekeepers were firing arrow after arrow, cannonball after cannonball, and managing to take out some of them.

The guards eventually succeeded in taking down the gate, and they pressed forward into the castle grounds. The Northwestern foot soldiers clashed swords and arrows with their opponents, either upping their body counts or becoming part of someone else's.

Brick snapped out of his rage momentarily, blinking rapidly as he gazed upon what he could have prevented. He shook his head, hardening his face and beginning to bark out orders. Duncan slid down the stairwell exit, removing his sword from his sheath and slashing guards as they surrounded him.

The sounds of screaming and clashing swords echoed through the Lord's thoughts. Of course, being essentially raised by the army, he was hardened from it by now. The blood of his opponents, as well as his comrades, stained the ground and his clothes as he raced through the crowds.

His mind was blank as he carelessly took the lives of Southern soldier after soldier, usually, he would be merciful at a time like this. Unfortunately, in his book, mercy was undeserved. His focus was on only one man, the big shot lord himself.

He spotted the bleach white hair in the crowd, and he perked up. His eyes flashed with a burning passion for revenge as he charged towards Lightning, slashing his sword recklessly in the process. Lightning took heed of his strike and blocked it in time. He took the next attack, nicking Brick in the shoulder.

He growled, pushing him back to the ground with full force, slashing the Southern Lord's cloak clean off his back. Lightning sprang back up, and they clashed their swords repeatedly, blocking every opposing shot thrown at them. At this point, Lightning realized that maybe, just maybe, he could lose this fight. Therefore, much to his discretion, he tried to reason with his opponent.

"Okay man, I get it. You can fight, Lightning sees that. Lightning also sees why Jo chose you over me in the first place." Brick wasn't buying it, keeping his attacks on point and achieving a jab into the Lord's left arm. "There was never a competition, sir. I was always her first choice, that's a fact."

Lightning leaned against a nearby wall, clenching his injured arm as it bled profusely through his bulky fingers. "Yeah," Lightning reluctantly admitted, "I get that now. It's because you act like a suck up that he likes you better. Because Lightning is his own man, unlike you. You can't live without getting orders, so you're stuck in this weird loop of never getting to do exactly what you want."

Brick slowed down, his words sinking in. He shook his head viciously, "That's not true..." "Don't lie to yourself, man! You can do better than that, Lightning knows so! You don't have to live like this, you don't have to bear his crosses for him!"

Brick stood in front of his enemy, watching as his crimson liquid fell to the dirt. His grip on his sword tightened, and he lifted Lord Lightning up by his collar. His fierce gaze met Lightning's, the connection remaining firm as Brick jabbed his sword into Lightning's gut, making sure to wound him enough so it won't kill him. His limbs sank to his sides as he weakly grabbed his waist.

"It is my choice to be with Jo, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

*Words: 1030*

((AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I swear this is one of the greatest things I have ever done, and I have no regrets. Also, my birthday's tomorrow!!!! I turn 15 on the 4th, same day as Beyoncé waddup! Anyways, hope you enjoyed, 'til next chapter! ☆Kay~))