Celebrate! : Chapter 12

((Synopsis: The victorious side is celebrating their situation and a surprise leads to even more happiness for our heroes, not so much for the other side.))

Night had fallen, and the Northwestern kingdom was in high spirits. After their recent victory, the entire surviving population celebrated their live comrades and honored the brave soldiers who gave their lives to protect them.

The elated melodies of the violin and flute merged into the air, the graceful dancing of the court making skirts and sleeves playfully whisk through the air. All of the visiting monarchs had a guest of honor status, and a place at a large banquet table, a select few already drunk as hell. 

Gwen had recovered from her panic attack, the alcohol helping a ton, and was dancing around with the commoners. She was actually quite the accomplished dancer, despite popular belief, and her navy blue dress swayed back and forth as she glided skillfully across the dance floor. No one really had any time to be surprised, for they were all too busy partying like there was no tomorrow.

"Wooooooooo! We are the best . . . around . . ." Jo yelled, leaning far back in her chair, nearly hitting the ground. Cameron held his fingers to his temple, "My lady, can you please stop screaming?" "Aw, cheer up, buddy!" she responded, taking a few unstable steps to where he was, throwing her arm around his shoulder and spilling her cup onto the floor, "This is all in good fun, Cam." The young advisor tried to pull her arm off, worried about what she might do next in her intoxicated state, but her grip wasn't budging. "Uh...Zoey? Zoey!?"

The Northern lord sat nearby, her chin rested in her hands as she observed everyone else having a good time. Her heart wasn't really in the moment, a somber air surrounding Zoey, her lips pressed in a thin line. Hearing Cameron, she perked up half-heartedly. "Lady Jo," she scolded, pulling her arms off of him, "You have to regulate your strength, my fellow lord, his form is weaker!"

Jo hiccupped, brushing the hair from her face and shaking her head merrily, "Sorry, sorry. Forgot about that, Cam. Still, you have gotten stronger the past few days . . ." She began to ramble on for a few seconds, before losing the thought and pressing a search for her husband, a string of playful nicknames and teases lingering in the air as she left.

Cameron flashed Zoey a grateful smile, a quick one at that, as before he could speak, a huge crash came from across the room. The two turned swiftly to the sight of Lady Courtney and Lord Duncan getting into another pointless argument escalating too quickly. Duncan held up a stray shield as the Lady threw a chair, and it crashed into the wall. Surprisingly, she was satisfied after that, jumping into his arms and making out with him. 

Nevertheless, Zoey and Cameron were not surprised, as this was entirely normal and basically how their entire relationship functioned. Shaking that off, Cameron met Zoey's gaze, noting the sadness harboring deep in her eyes, and posed a question, "Are you alright?" Zoey sniffled, pouting as she took a seat on a nearby stool, "I . . . I don't know! I know this a fun time but . . . Mike's still captured, Scott's still hurt, Dawn's missing . . ."

Her comrade knelt down beside her, placing a hand on her back as she hunched over, attempting to stifle her sobbing. Gwen managed to hear her cries through the music and left her admirers to check on her. She knelt beside Cameron, grabbing Zoey's hand in her own and tried to be comforting. "Look, Zoey. I know this is hard, and I understand how you feel, you know I do, but you need to keep your head in the game!"

"Gwen's right, Lady Zoey," Cameron piped up, "Mike wouldn't want you to be moping around like this. You need to be strong for him!" Zoey looked at her two close friends and managed to sputter, "I don't think I can . . ." Gwen grabbed Zoey by the shoulders, pulling her to the ground with them and forcing her to meet her gaze. "Gwen!?" Cameron said, concerned. 

"Zoey, listen to me. It's going to be difficult, I can assure you. Back when I lost Trent, I didn't know how to handle myself. I was rash, emotional, and because of that, nothing got done and everyone suffered because of it. We are a system, and we rely on each other. I know you're at a loss, but trust me, there's nothing you can do about it. You just have to go along with it, and whatever happens, happens. Because of my mistakes, I lost Trent for good, and I am not going to let you lose Mike the same way I lost him."

Zoey took a few deep breaths, finally pulling herself together, "You're . . . you're right, Gwen. I can't let this hurt anyone else." "That's the Zoey we know! Good to have you back!" The three of them huddled together, sharing a hug before Gwen convinced her friends to join her for a few dances. Everyone was smiling again, and all was well for the moment. Although, before they knew it, things got even better.

A few hours later, the music started to die down, and one of the musicians called for attention. "Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to present, our gracious leader, Duncan Ward!" Everyone burst into an uproar of cheers, as Lord Duncan approached the band area with his own personal musicians. They struck up a beat on a tambourine and a melody on a guitar as Duncan began to sing.

Feeling my way through the darkness

Guided by a beating heart

I can't tell where the journey will end

But I know where to start

They tell me I'm too young to understand

They say I'm caught up in a dream

Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes

Well that's fine by me

So wake me up when it's all over

When I'm wiser and I'm older

All this time I was finding myself

And I didn't know I was lost

So wake me up when it's all over

When I'm wiser and I'm older

All this time I was finding myself

And I didn't know I was-

Duncan was interrupted mid-sentence by a few screams of guards rushing in, escorting a group of people into the party. Northwestern soldiers ran to approach the group and protect the people, Brick and Jo posturing up straight despite their drunken states and reaching for their swords. 

One of the escorts yelled, "Hold your fire, we come in peace!" "State your business, good sir," Duncan commanded, and the soldier said nothing. "I said, state your business." Instead of speaking, he and his platoon moved out of the way to reveal their party, and Zoey squealed in happiness. 

"MIKE!"

**Words: 1129**

((AHAHAHHAHAHAHA WOOOOOOOO! Everything is going great, but now that the others are there, what is Lightning and his army going to do? How's Scarlett going to react when she finds out about Max's treachery? You guys don't know . . . but I do! Look forward to it, my dudes. ~Kay))