Alliance Antics: Chapter 13

((Synopsis: Brick returns home with two of the escapees, Dawn reunites with Scott, and Max learns of some dreadful news.))

"Mike!" Zoey squealed, throwing herself into his arms. The pair spun around and were giggling nonstop through their tears of joy. Dawn stayed aside, watching the scene from the sidelines with Max. The self-proclaimed evil lord kept his eyes to the ground, keeping to himself as to not provoke any suspicion.  

The crowd stared on in disbelief, Gwen throwing Cameron a look. They ran up to the couple, relieved smiles covering their faces. "Mike, how did you escape?" Cameron asked, and Mike laughed awkwardly, "Um, well . . . Dawn and I had a little help."

He stretched his finger towards Max, and the latter gulped anxiously. "It's Lord Max! He's with Lightning!" Jo screamed, staggeringly charging at him from her place beside Brick. Several guards rushed to back her up, and Max's soldiers prepared to form a protective wall. Dawn got in between the two of them, Max curling into a ball on the floor at her knees.

"Jo, stop! He's not with Lightning anymore!" she informed her fellow Queen, holding her hand up to Jo's face, halting her. Queen Jo's eyes fluttered as she calmed herself down, still fairly intoxicated, "He's what?" "Dawn's right Jo," Mike piped up, Zoey still held tightly in his arms, "Max wants to join us. So as an exchange, he set the two of us free."

"Does Lady Scarlett know?" Courtney asked, slightly defensive at Duncan's side, and Max shook his head. "No . . . she does not," his voice was shaky, and his words were scattered from fear. Luckily, he was smart enough to be blunt, so no unwanted anger rose from the rest of the Lords.

Brick cleared his throat, rising from his chair and walking towards them. Placing a hand on Jo's shoulder, he bent down to Max's level. "You're that Lord Scarlett was talking about!" Brick eyed him curiously, "She spoke of me?" The smaller man nodded, newly intimidated, "Yes, she was able to distinguish your battle style from the wounds you gave Lord Lightning."

"Is he still unconscious?" Max nodded again, and Brick offered him his hand. Still intimidated, he gingerly accepted it, and the Western Lord lifted the Eastern Lord to his feet. Brick turned to Jo, cracking a small smile, "My lady, we should be heading home. We'll be taking Lord Max and Lady Dawn as a travel party." Jo nodded, her legs uneasy as she tried to walk towards the door. Her pace suddenly stopped and she toppled down to the floor.

Cameron rushed over to her side, checking her pulse, relieved to find that she just passed out. "She's alright!" Brick rolled his eyes, bending down and taking his wife in his arms, "I'll carry her home then." Turning back to his advisor, he posed him a question, "Are you coming with us, or are you staying the night?" Cameron thought for a second but soon made up his mind when Gwen started insisting that Mike have a few drinks. 

"I think my place is here for tonight, besides, Mike would need a summary of what's been happening since he's been gone." Brick nodded, "Then you have my leave." A glass crashed on the floor, and Gwen started yelling a bit, her words slurred and poorly executed, "You might want to get on that, Cam."

Around the break of dawn, the traveling party entered the Western Castle, exhausted and relieved to have arrived. Brick gently brought Jo down from their horse, adjusting her position in his arms as he approached Dawn and Max. "I'll have the servants prepare rooms for the two of you, but for now, I'll have you escorted to the infirmary." "Thank you, Lord Brick, you've done more than I could have ever hoped for,"  Dawn said, and Brick beamed at them, "It was a given, fair Lady. I'll meet up with you later, I have other matters to deal with."

Max and Dawn followed behind an escort down the chiseled stone hallway, eventually arriving in front of the infirmary door. The guard opened the door for them, bowing politely as they entered the room, the white walls and overall overbearing atmosphere tensed p the duo. Max shivered a bit at the sight of a stack of needles, and Dawn's eyes grew wide as she caught sight of one of the cots near the window.

A small gasp escaped her lips, and she shakily lifted he hand to her cheek. The patient on the cot spun his gaze around from his view of the window, and a smirk curved from his mouth. "Well, it's about time. You took a bit longer than I thought you would, Pixie." Dawn approached the man, lightly bitchslapping him. Rubbing his cheek as a glowing red handprint grew onto the surface, his eyes narrowed, "Missed you too." 

She threw her arms around his neck, "You're a huge idiot, Scott." He chuckled under his breath, holding her waist with one arm while patting her on the head with his free hand, "I know, but so are you." "I'm not the one who claims to be tough and clever only to get beaten up by Lightning." "I'm not the one who got captured in the end." They both stifled their laughing, and Max just stood there in awkward third wheeling.

Checking the area, he excused himself and exited the room. He leaned his back against the chiseled stone walls, the small jagged bumps of rock slightly piercing into his skin. His hand dug into his tunic pocket, and a sheet of paper brushed against his fingers. That wasn't there before, or at least, he hadn't noticed it yet. Pulling the parchment from the pocket, he opened the fold and read it out. The fear grew back in his eyes as he remembered what this paper was for, and he broke out into a sprint. He had to warn Lord Brick, the situation was dire.

The cavalry was coming, and soon.

**Words: 982**

((Oh shit, OH SHIT! This isn't going to go well . . . especially since there are only 2 chapters left. Yeah, I'm ending this at 15! So look forward to the next two, they'll be longer and more exciting! Or, at least I hope so. ~Kay))