Chapter 20: The Search

Hale's POV

I hated going behind Larken's back and hated keeping secrets from her. After all, her keeping secrets from me was what put her into the coma. I shook the thought from my head and continued on down the hall towards my father's office.

No. This needs to be done.

When Larken explained how I've changed her, I caught two names that slipped out when she must not have realized, given that she hasn't spoken of them since. Rhett and Vivian. Larken's last name is Taylor, so I'm assuming she received their surname when she was adopted. That or it was given to her at the orphanage. Either way, that's my best bet of finding these people who hurt my mate.

As I approached the door, I hesitated with my hand just above the knob. Is this really what I want to do? I'm sure if I told Larken.. no. She wouldn't want me to dig into her past. She would only become angry with me, but I need to find the people who hurt my mate. Since the fist day I saw her, beaten, bruised, and burned, I've longed to beat the living hell out of whoever laid a finger on my precious mate. As I turned the knob, I prayed to the gods for forgiveness, along with forgiveness from my mate. It's for the better. They can't hurt anyone else if we catch them. With that, I opened the door.

As soon as I stepped into my father's study, the man with salt and pepper hair peered up over his glasses and set down the document he had previously been reading. "Ah, Hale. Have you come to help me with paperwork?"

I stood anxiously at the door and shook my head. I took a deep breath and strolled towards my father's desk.

Larken.. forgive me.

"It's Larken."

My father immediately rose from his chair with an anxious look on his face, until I rose a hand for him to stop. "Okay, let me rephrase. It's something Larken said that I wanted to speak to you about."

He placed a hand over his chest, realasing a breath he had been holding in and sat back down. "Ah, alright. What is it?"

I sighed, "When she spoke to me after she had come out of her coma, she mentioned two names from her past, but I don't think she realized I caught them."

My father rose a brow and set down his glasses, "Oh, and you think these people may have been those that hurt her?"

I could hear the disappointment in his voice, knowing my true intentions, "Yes, but dad, she was covered in bruises, burns... if these people are the ones that treated her as such, they at least deserve to be questioned for their actions."

He eyed me carefully, "Son.. I know that questioning isn't the only reason you want them. If anyone hurt your mother the way that Larken was treated, I would be acting the same way. But you're not thinking rationally about this."

I huffed, "Exactly! You just said you would be acting the same so why can't you see my point of view on this?"

He let out an exasperated sigh and pinched the skin between his eyebrows as he thought for a moment. He finally rose his head and met my eyes, "Alright. I will have a few of our men on the borders do a little digging. If they are found and seem suspicious, then they will be followed. If they seem to be of no harm, then this conversation never happened. Understood?"

I nodded, accepting his proposal. "Alright. I understand. Thank you."

As I walked out the door, he sighed, "Don't thank me yet."

A/N So I know this chapter is short, but Merry Christmas Eve guys! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas eve and wish you the best for tomorrow! Love ya!

-Liv