Chapter 13: The Nightmares Return

A/N Hey guys! I got some inspiration lately to write from Hale and Larken, so hopefully they'll stick with me! As a warning, this chapter is a bit shorter than the rest have been. Sorry loves! xoxo

"WORTHLESS BITCH!"

The shout from downstairs echoed up to my bedroom as Rhett practically called my name while I winced at the venom in his voice. I hurriedly tiptoed down the steps, worried that if I took even a second longer he would be furious. The moment I reached the bottom, I glanced around, confused to see no one there, until a hand gripped a large portion of hair and yanked me to the side. I cried out as I slammed my head against the wall, my world spinning as spots clouded my sight. Rhett shouted in my ear, "WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU LAST NIGHT!?"

Oh no... 

He's drunk again..

I stuttered, practically shaking with fear as I attempted to get the words out of my mouth, "I-i was here, Rhett.. W-what are you talking about?"

He ripped my hair back, turning my neck up to face him as he spat and slurred in my face, "LIAR! YOU WERE OUT LAST NIGHT! YOU WERE OUT WITH THE AL-"

Suddenly after the sound of glass shattering sounded from behind me, Rhett dropped to the floor with his fingers still knotted in my hair, dragging me down with him. He fell face first and I dropped to my knees beside him when he hit the ground.

What the hell just happened?

I looked up to my right to see Vivian standing there with a broken glass bottle of beer in her hand as she looked down at me smugly. I furrowed my brows, "W-why did you do that?"

She rose a brow, "Are you complaining? If you are, I'll happily wake him up to tell him what an ungrateful bitch you're being."

My eyes widened in panic, "N-no! No! I just- uh.. t-thank you.."

She scoffed, "Trust me, I didn't do it for you."

With that, she walked away and I was left sitting on the floor to untangle to knotted mess of hair where Rhett's limp hand still lie. I glanced down to Rhett, shivering at the drunken devil that haunted so many of my nightmares. I felt a rush of heat on my cheeks as the room around me slowly began to fade, and a tingling sensation washed over my senses.

I awoke to small kisses being planted all across my cheeks, my nose, my forehead, and a smile spread from ear to ear. Hale's captivating eyes met mine as he grinned at me, "Good Morning Beautiful."

I gave him a small smile, but couldn't forget the dream I had just been woken from. I pulled him down by his neck and pressed a soft kiss against his lips. Only a second later, he pulled away, a slight frown across his face as he looked over me.

I furrowed my brows, attempting a weak smile, "What?" 

His eyes searched mine as he asked, "You're having the nightmares again, aren't you?"

I saw the pity and sadness in his eyes.. I couldn't lie to him. If I won't tell him what my nightmares are about, I should at least tell him when I have them.. shouldn't I? He's my mate.. he deserves to know everything about me.. I'm just not ready to show him that part of my life.

I sighed, tracing my fingers softly along the back of his neck, just below his hairline. I wouldn't meet his eyes, knowing that he would read me like a book, "Hale.."

He sighed and leaned back up into a sitting position beside me, running his fingers through his hair. Anytime he did that, I knew he was upset or distressed. It bothered me just to see him upset in general, but knowing that I was the one who made him upset..

I sat up, reaching out to him in an attempt to calm his worries, until he leaned back and avoided my touch. I stopped my hand in mid air, my mouth agape in hurt as an ache stabbed through my chest.

I couldn't breathe. For a second, it felt like the wind was knocked out of me. Is this what it feels like? To have your mate reject your touch? I put my hand onto my chest, tears beginning to cloud my vision as I threw the covers off of me and stormed out of the room.