Chapter 2: Mates and Memory Loss

Larken's POV

I heard the faint sounds of voices. One belonged to an older gentleman, judging by how hoarse it sounded, and the other, a soft, smooth voice that made my heart jump. I stirred slightly, coming back to reality. All of these questions raced through my head. Where am I? Who are these people? What happened?

Suddenly, I felt a warm sensation spread from my hand, up to my arm, then to my neck, and throughout my whole body. It was almost like electricity.

Finally, I opened my eyes to see two men hovering over me. One looked in his late 50's, darker skinned, but short, gray hair sprouting from the top of his head. His brown eyes searched me, as if to make sure that I was alright.

As I peered to my left, a young man, probably 20, a year older than me, gazed at me intently and all I could do was gaze back. His eyes were two different shades, one a light, hazel color, and the other, a deep blue that resembled the ocean. I could gaze into his captivating eyes forever. I looked around the room and noticed, I have no idea where I am. My heartbeat quickened when I realized, I don't even know these people. As I went to adjust myself in the bed, I noticed that the boy with two different shades of eyes was holding my hand, sending sparks throughout my body.

Why was I feeling like this?? I have to get out of here. I pushed myself up off of the bed, in an attempt to raise up and sit up straight. Both men quickly motioned for me to lay back down.

The young one said, "Hey, hey, it's okay. Just lay down and rest."

Something about his voice just calmed me and soothed my senses, causing my heartbeat to relax. I gently lowered myself back down.

I watched as the older man whispered something into the young one's ear and left the room. The young man then leaned forward, staring right into my eyes with his kind, calming ones.

"It's alright, you're safe here. There's no need to worry."

I was confused, what did he mean by safe? Wasn't I safe where I was before? Wait, where was I before..

I stuttered, "Wh-who are you?"

He smiled and flashed his straight, shiny white pearls and replied in that soft voice,

"My name is Hale. And you, miss?"

I blushed at the sight of his smile. Gosh, just his smile could take down a whole damn army. I opened my mouth to reply when I stopped and realized..

I don't know.

What is my name? Oh my gosh, how do I not remember my own name? How could I forget my name? Wait, do I even have a name?? Why can't I remember anything???

I began panicking, my breaths became quickened and I started wheezing, unable to breathe. As I struggled for air, I tried to stand, thinking it would be better.

Nope.

As I stood, a sharp pain shot through my head and I winced, grabbing the sides of my head in an attempt to stop the pulsing pain. I collapsed to my knees, the boy dropping to the ground beside me, holding me. I gazed up at his bright, two-toned eyes before my vision slowly began fading, turning into darkness. In the distance, I heard Hale yelling, calling out, but I couldn't make out the words. I was too far gone.

An hour later...

I awoke in the same bed as before, with the same men hovering over me as the first time. Except now, Hale's eyes were filled with worry and sadness. It pained me to see him to upset, but why? I didn't even know this boy. The older man shined a light in my pupils, holding my eyes open with his fingers, and said, "It seems as though she just had a panic attack."