Chapter Sixty-Seven

How was I meant to do it? To break the news to Nikki before anyone else? Before Alan, before Angry. Would I just tell him, take him to dinner, write him a letter, what was I suppose to do? What was I suppose to say?

'Sorry Nik, I'm going with Angry.'

'Sorry Nik, I'm leaving your sorry arse.'

'See you later alligator.'

'Nik, you know how much I love you. So much that I have to go. I'm sorry.'

'Nik, you know how much we seem to continue hurting each other. Maybe we aren't just meant to be, I think we should go our separate ways.' Now that one was heartbreaking. If he came up to me and said it, my heart would shatter into a million pieces. But truth wise, I would be slightly angry and upset, I'd respect him for it.

Why was it so hard to figure out?

'Don't go breaking my heart
I couldn't if I tried
Honey if I get restless
Baby you're not that kind.' Oh for fucks sake. Seriously?! Right at this moment in time, out of millions of songs they had to play, this one? Don't get me wrong, I adored the song. But quite frankly, at the moment it made things harder for me.

'Don't go breaking my heart
You take the weight off me
Honey when you knock on my door
I gave you my key.'

Sighing loud enough to gather the attention of other customers in the restaurant, I removed myself from the table and approached the bar.

"If you don't mind, I want to change table." I state, the lady at the bar simply smiled and nodded.

"Where?" She asks, continuing to make the cocktail.

"Outside preferably. Say, table 20? Is that alright by you?" I watch her as she pours vodka into the glass.

"Absolutely. I'll make sure to bring your lunch out there." And with that she continued to finish making the cocktail. I went on to walk outside and to the table I chose.

Letting out a relieved exhale, I sat down at the table in peace. Thank god, no more music. Well, that's what I thought, boy was I wrong. For love songs, I was sure the radio upped their game in making sure I was miserable.

'If I should stay
I would only be in your way
So I'll go but I know
I'll think of you every step of the way.' No, please, no. Really? Dolly Parten. Way to break the water works. Was I being punished? Was the person on the radio trying to send me into depression?

Biting at my lip, as I continue to listen to the song, I could feel the tears building up in my eyes.

'And I will always love you
I will always love you

Bitter-sweet memories
That's all I'm taking with me
Good-bye, please don't cry
'Cause we both know that I'm not
What you need.' Why on earth was it that this song was so relatable right now? Now I was truly debating whether I wanted then to replay Elton John. At least his song was upbeat and slightly happier.
Tears began to fall from my eyes and roll down my cheeks, the warmth of them had me getting unsettling goosebumps.

"Suzie-Q? Are you alright?" Mick's voice sounded. I was that caught up in the song and my thoughts, I didn't see Mick standing opposite me.

Quickly wiping my eyes, I sniffled and looked up at Mick.

"Absolutely. I'm fine, Mick." I attempted trying to hold back my emotions. That was impossible. Mick observed me for a moment before answering, letting enough silence for me to listen to the song again and break down.