CHAPTER FIVE

The abbot slowly guided Luisa through torch lit corridors. Cataindar’s walls were made of solid stone and the corridors arched up, high with vaulted ceilings. Great cracks marred the flow of the stone, with thick tree roots beginning to snake through and reach down like grabbing hands. She could see the remnants of detailed carvings along the walls. At the bottom a brass piping skirted each side, tarnished and covered with centuries of dents, but laid well and with purpose. The ground was stone, swept clean, and as they walked Luisa’s bare feet began to get cold.

They continued down these halls, turning this way and that, passing grand entrances and archways, until they stopped at a large door. Two guards were stationed outside.  They bowed deeply. The abbot produced a battered key.

“Your quarters,” he said, opening the door.

Luisa stepped through into the large room. It had a high four-poster bed in the centre, carved wooden furniture and twin doors that hinted at a walk-in closet. A retro flower power duvet cover and a shaggy purple rug in the centre lay incongruous to the rest of the room. It was in short, a dream room, literally fit for a princess. A small catain stood fidgeting nervously to the side, dressed in simple smock with dark trim,

 “This is your hand maiden Miss Clearwater.”

 Luisa, extended her hand to shake while Clearwater curtsied deeply, the maid then noticed her master’s hand and extended her paw just as Luisa decided to attempt a curtsy in reply.  They exchanged an awkward half-curtsy half-handshake greeting.

The abbot looked disapprovingly over his glasses,

“I must leave to retrieve the Royal Case, I shall return soon.” He gave a short bow to and shuffled away.

Luisa and Clearwater stood opposite one another, not knowing what to say. Clearwater regarded Luisa with her light grey eyes.  She smiled, her sharp white teeth gleaming against her grey fur,

“Well Princess, I know I speak for everyone when I say how excited we are for your arrival.”

She noticed Luisa’s old crumpled pyjamas, bare feet and snot-encrusted nose.  She gestured towards the walk-in closet,

 “Erm, we have many royal clothes for you just in the dressing chamber…”

She was interrupted by a sharp single rap on the door.  Clearwater smiled again, looking relieved,

“The abbot,” she looked at Luisa with expectation.

 “Oh, umm… Come in?”

 The door opened but it was not the abbot.  It was the lean black catain, the one with blue eyes. Darcius. He bowed and Luisa saw again the long sword across his back,

“Princess, I extend to you my welcome to Cataindar… your kingdom,”

 His voice was like a cracked whisper and he took his time with each word, letting every syllable fall off his tongue. He entered the room, and nodded to Clearwater, looking her up and down slowly,

“Why, Miss Clearwater, I did not know how you had grown… and… blossomed,”

 Clearwater stepped back and Luisa saw the light grey fur on the back of her neck rise, she gave a short curtsy looking down.

Luisa blurted an assertive, “Hi?” and regretted it immediately. 

Darcius' attention snapped to Luisa and he took a few steps towards her, his clear blue eyes bored into hers,

“Yes… Hi.  Princess, I couldn’t help but overhear something you said in the royal stone chamber.  Why did you think we were going to… ah… now what was it you said?”

 Luisa swallowed, Darcius was standing close to her, hand half on the hilt of the curved dagger that dangled at his hip. A gem in the hilt glowed blue.  He stayed silent. Looking at her expectantly,

“Well…” Luisa began, feeling flustered, “You’re animals, I mean, look like animals… so I thought you might… eat me.”

Even though what she said was true she felt stupid saying it,

“Oh I see.” said Darcius, “So you were not prepared to come to us.  I, like you, would have come to the same conclusion,” he opened his eyes dramatically, “Alone in a new place surrounded by strange creatures.  You must have thought we might boil you over the fire!  How shocked you must have been when we instead heralded you as our princess?”

 “Yes I was a bit.” Luisa bit her lip and felt her stomach knot.

Darcius took a few steps closer, “If I can be so bold to give you some advice?” He dropped his voice low, and his eyes darkened, moving his mouth closer to Luisa’s ear, “Don’t shake a tree full of rotten apples...

If he was going to say anything else he was cut off by a triple-rap at the door. Darcius straightened and the abbot entered carrying a solid-looking black box.

“I was just taking my leave abbot, after personally wishing the princess a reign that I hope is long and healthy.”

 Darcius enjoyed a lingering look at Clearwater’s figure before he turned and left.

--

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?

I really hoped you are enjoying the tale so so far, if you did.. show the love with a comment & vote! 

If you are enjoying head to Cataindar.com and subscribe to win cool stuff and recieve exclusive content! 

Thank you so much guys :)

Tim