CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

Luisa slammed into a cold stone floor. Winded from the fall, she wheezed in stale air. Her eyes adjusted to a sudden brightness. Panic seared her senses. She was enclosed, the walls around her were curved glass, behind them rough rock.  She was in a glass tank. Looking up she saw the dark top stone glowing blue with her outline, before it faded black and sheen.

She heard a crack of a drum behind her and, still on all fours, she hurled her body around to see what it was. A small glass door, ringed in decorative brass, and beyond that… Her eyes widened with the scene that stood beyond.

Before her stretched a huge underground cavern. Burning torches adorned the walls, casting a golden light that lit the cavern’s soaring height. The cavern was packed with catlike creatures that sat at long tables stretching far into the distance. Luisa looked out at the thousands of expectant cat-like eyes fixated on her in silence. They were wearing clothes and those that stood did so on their hind-legs. They were a height not dissimilar to her own; between four and five feet tall. A congregation of the creatures to her right made some jaunty movements. One at the front beat a small drum twice more, and a demonic orchestra began to play. Still on hands and knees, Luisa scrambled to the far side of the glass wall like a trapped animal.  The tune came to Luisa’s glass cell half-muted.  Her ears were filled with her own loud heartbeat and ragged breath. 

This can not be happening! 

There was more movement in front of her, one of the creatures flapped its arms, standing alone on a stage behind a podium, the crowd switched their focus from Luisa to this one.  It hobbled over to the orchestra, and waving its arms, in one paw held a walking stick.  Luisa was shocked to hear human words leave its mouth,

“Stop! Stop!”

The orchestra stopped haphazardly. The creature, stood stooped for a second panting. It turned, and leaning heavily on its stick hobbled towards the door of Luisa’s glass tank. It took the few steps up to the tank door, the weight of ten thousand pairs of eyes on its every step. Luisa could now see it up close.

The cat had white shaggy fur, and wore a cloak which was a similar dishevelled off-white. Its large grey eyes were encased by a pair of wire rimmed glasses.  It rapped its walking stick three times on the tank door and peered at Luisa.  In hushed tones it asked,

“May I come in?”

Luisa stared aghast the creature, still pushing back against the glass,

“Are you going to eat me?”

As she spoke, her words were amplified by the tank, which pumped the question out loud to the entire audience. This caused a loud hubbub from the crowd shattering the silence. She looked back to the old cat and he looked wounded, his eyes pouring into Luisa’s own.

“No! Of course not!” he whispered and with desperation gestured again to the brass door handle.  Luisa, seeing no option, nodded, and gave her assent for him to enter.

The white cat entered and gave a short bow.  Straightening his stoop and squaring his shoulders he said,

“Princess, I am Abbot Kincold, abbot of the catains, steward of the royal line. It is my honour to give you guidance throughout your reign.” His words echoed loudly through the cavern,

Luisa’s mind reeled.  What did he just say? Princess? Reign?

The abbot caught her look. He dropped his voice while speaking quietly his words avoided the amplification device of the tank,

“Princess… excuse my impudence… you have completed all the royal rites,” he pointed up at the stone, “on the other side of the dysk?”