♪ FIFTY-EIGHT ♪

"OW!" Jonah shrieks, nearly leaping out of the bed and rubbing his newly injured arm. "Why'd you bite me?"

"Defense mechanism," Aurora shrugs her shoulders nonchalantly. "You got too close to my Cheez-its."

"You're supposed to be eating the soup Callie made," he chastises.

"I did," she mutters, throwing the empty bowl onto his lap and bundling herself further into the blankets. "I want my Caramel."

"Carmen isn't back ye-"

"HELLO TO ALL," Callie's muffled yells can be heard coming from downstairs as the front door opens.

Pointing to the hallway accusingly, Aurora smirks triumphantly. "If you're not going to watch Barbie with me, I suggest you go get my Caramel."

Jonah jumps out of the bed, subconsciously rubbing his arm as he rushes out of our bedroom.

After sneezing several times, she returns her attention to the TV, watching as the opening credits of The Princess and the Pauper continue to play.

After nearly a day and a half of resting, her cold wasn't any better. If anything, Aurora felt worse than she had yesterday, even though she'll never admit it to Jonah - mostly out of sheer spite and the small fear that he would cancel the Halloween party.

"I'm home!" Carmen declares, bursting through the bedroom door.

"Finally," Aurora groans, looking to the girl over the pile of blankets stacked on top of her. "I've been waiting for years, Carmen. I almost died. Jonah wouldn't take care of me properly."

"Yes, I did!" The boy argues. "You're only saying that because I wouldn't watch Barbie with you."

"That's offensive to me," she hisses, snatching up a tissue before holding it to her red and splotchy nose. "That was my entire childhood and you denied it. I could've ended you."

"Well, I'm here now, and I fully intend on binge watching them with you - after we finish decorating for the Halloween party," Carmen informs the sick girl, leaning on the edge of the bed. "So, are you in?"

"Of course I'm in," she says, throwing the pile of blankets off of her dramatically and pushing her headache aside. "That shouldn't even be a question."

"Are you sure you're well enough to be doing this?" Jonah questions, trailing along behind the two girls. "I think you should stay in bed. You're in no condition to be de-"

"Stop right there," Aurora shakes her head. "I simply refuse to allow you to speak to me the way Zach speaks to Caramel. Hush, hush, peasant. You are not Zach Herron, therefore you are not allowed to be uptight."

"I say we get started with the hanging decorations first," Carmen chimes in, motioning to the endless bags lying on the floor. "What do you think?"

"I think I should be allowed to put the candy into bowls," Aurora suggests. "That way, we can kill two birds with one stone. You and Heroin can hang the decorations, and Jonah and I can deal with the candy. Callie and Jack can work on table decoration placement."

"What about Corbyn and I?" Daniel pipes, pouting slightly. "Do we not get to do anything?"

"Actually, Addilyn will be over in a few minutes, so we can work on the lights, cobwebs, and music outside," Corbyn states, patting Daniel on the shoulder. "Sorry, bud. You're on your own."

Daniel's jaw drops as he throws his arms in the air. "Thanks, guys. I'm really feeling the love today. Rejection feels great."

"Awww, honey," Aurora puckers out her bottom lip. "Envy is not a good color on you. Why don't you work with Caramel and Heroin until you get a girlfriend?"

Instead of replying, Daniel sticks his tongue out at her, trudging over to stand beside Carmen. "You love me, don't you, Carmen?"

"Sorry," Zach grins, pressing a chaste kiss on the girl's lips. "She's taken."

Aurora fake gags, scooping the candy bags into her arms. "You're going to make me vomit on the candy."

××××

Where's the duct tape?" Corbyn questions, wandering back into the house, covered in cobwebs and with Addilyn following closely.

"We're out," Jonah informs him, giving Aurora a pointed look as she eats another Tootsie roll. "And you shouldn't be eating that much sugar while you're sick."

"Oh, is this our sickness? Don't tell me what to do," she retorts, throwing another one into my mouth defiantly. "It helps with my headaches."

"CARMEN, HELP!" Daniel screeches, hopping towards the girl standing on the ladder.

Carmen glances down, her attention no longer on the crooked banner. "What is it?"

"Aurora taped his feet and hands together with duct tape again," Zach sighs, helping her down.

"It's okay because it's festive!" Aurora defends herself, gesturing towards his taped ankles as she sniffles. "See? Just look at those cute little pumpkins!"

"How did she manage to hold you down?" Jack asks, handing a skull to Callie. "I mean, this is the third time in the last hour. I don't see how she could get that on you against your will."

"I sat on him," she says simply, shrugging as she open another package of candy. "And taped his mouth so no one could hear him. Have you guys ever thought about getting soundproof walls so I could get away with murder?"

"How has she not gotten arrested?" Daniel asks incredulously. "She's a lunatic."

"Honestly, I'm not even sure," Jonah chuckles. "The police would bring her back though, I'm sure of that."

"Hmm?" Aurora raises an eyebrow, stuffing a full KitKat into her mouth. "Are you all talking about me?"

"Can someone help?" Daniel groans.

Carmen sits by Daniel's feet, prying at the tape with a pair of scissors. "How many layers did you wrap around his ankles? Geez, I don't think I can cut through this."

"Twenty-seven," Aurora smiles proudly. "It would've been twenty-eight, but I ran out of tape. Oh! Look, there's Dobby!"

The small pug looks up at her in question, perking his ears up at the sound of his name.

"Hey, sweetie. Do me a favor and chase Daniel, okay? Go bite him and I'll get Jonah to bake you some cinnamon rolls!" she encourages.

The puppy immediately surges forward, barreling towards a scared Daniel. Dobby barks loudly, growling once he is a foot away.

"NO!" Daniel yells, breaking into a run. But, the boy had forgotten the bounds on his ankles and wrists, and fell flat on the floor.

A loud thump sounds throughout the house as Daniel crashes onto his face.

"Your dog is vicious," Daniel informs Carmen. "And it utterly terrifies me."

"Don't you think you should apologize?" Jonah chastises, attempting to hide his grin.

"You're right," Aurora sighs through a cough, falling dramatically back onto the floor beside Daniel. "I'm sorry I ran out of duct tape."