♪ FORTY-TWO ♪

"Are you done spamming the poor girl?" Jonah questions, nudging Aurora's elbow as she sends yet another text.

"Yeah," she replies, dropping her phone onto the island to prove her point as she claims the barstool next to Carmen, who's quietly enjoying a plate of pancakes. Grabbing a fork, she steals a bite. "But only because I'm hungry."

The second the pancake reaches her lips, her phone vibrates, signaling the arrival of a notification. Aurora snatches it back up, a triumphant grin lighting up her face as she reads the text message.

I'm awake!

"She replied," she informs the others excitedly, texting again.

It's about time. Go get ready!

"Yay!" Carmen grins, taking another bite of her breakfast. "Zach still thinks she's imaginary."

Why?

Because we're GOING TO THE AQUARIUM!!

So hurry up, we'll meet you there in an hour.

"Jonah doubts me too," Aurora agrees, shooting the boy a glare as she sets her phone back down.

"Because it's highly unlikely that you actually met someone as crazy as you," Jonah says, handing her a cup of coffee as Zach nods. "So, what time are we meeting Addilyn?"

"We actually should be leaving soon," she admits, glancing at the clock. "Where are Blondie, Daniel, Poodle, and Callie?"

Carmen pushes her plate away - though Aurora wastes no time in snatching it up - and props her good arm on the island as she begins to move from the stool.

"Jack and Callie are still asleep," Zach informs her, helping Carmen steadily on her feet. "Daniel is out shopping, and Corbyn is-"

"Right here," the blond intervenes, entering the room right on cue.

"Let's go," Aurora decides, finishing the pancake and abandoning her cup of coffee as she climbs onto Jonah's back. "The others can join us at Dairy Queen later."

"Let me carry you," Zach says, looking down at Carmen.

"Crutches will work for today." Carmen shakes her head, hobbling into the living room. "I need to be independent, or else I won't be able to get around by myself."

"But-"

"COME ON, FUCKERS!" Aurora yells from the doorway, still attached to Jonah's back. Zach gestures towards the couple with a smug expression, taking it as a sign Carmen should let him carry her. "WE HAVE TO GO FIND NEMO!"

××××

Forty-five minutes later, Addilyn arrives at the aquarium, minutes after the five pulled into the parking lot in the same Corvette she met the two girls in. As the new girl's feet hit the asphalt, Aurora springs from the passenger seat, grinning broadly.

"She's real," Zach mutters in astonishment as the older girl pulls Addilyn in for a hug.

"Twenty dollars says Aurora is paying her to go along with her and Carmen's story," Jonah bets under his breath and Zach is quick to shake his hand.

"You're on."

"You need to meet everyone!" Aurora declares excitedly, finally letting her go. Pulling the bewildered girl over to the large group, she points at each person in turn. "The tall giant is Jonah, my boyfriend. You've already met Caramel. That's her overprotective boyfriend, Zach. And the awkward blond is Corbyn."