Chapter 1

Toby

I stared at the blood on my hands. It couldn't be real. But it was. The body was there, the knife at my feet. I had killed him. I had killed him.

Olivia

We all stared at the new boy, as he stood awkwardly at the front of the class. He looked completely normal, about my age - fifteen, until you noticed the details. First of all, he kept tapping his foot on the floor, and scratching at the bare skin on the back of one of his hands. His clothes were unevenly buttoned, and his bag spilling over. His piercing blue eyes darted around the classroom, only settling on one thing for a millisecond.

I looked over towards Shay, and she cocked her head at me and smiled, one eyebrow raised, as if to say, what a weirdo! But I turned away without responding and studied him again. There was this deep hurt in his eyes I hadn't seen the first time. Unwillingly, I felt myself fiddling my sleeve and I quickly looked towards my book as his eyes turned to me. What was I doing? Why was I acting like this? Why did he intrigue me so much?

Toby

What was I doing here? Why the hell was I standing stupidly in front of a class? Everyone was staring at me. Their eyes searching me for answers. Any kind of clue to who I was. Well they would get nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

God, It was too early for this. It was too early after his death. I barely registered the teacher was talking to me, until I felt a hand urging me towards a desk. I jumped at the touch, batting the hand away aggressively, and glared at the floor. I could hear movement all around me as people shifted in their seats, some sniggering. I could feel the hatred inside me brewing - but I wouldn't let my anger control me. I wouldn't! I screamed inside my head, and kicked a chair suddenly, watching it skid across the room, making a loud noise that I didn't want to hear. The room went silent. I took a deep breath, shaking. Shaking. Shaking.

Olivia

I held my breath, clutching my pencil so tightly my knuckles were white. I could feel Shay's eyes boring into me but I refused to turn around, my eyes fixed on the boy as he steadied himself on the desk. The teacher moved towards the desk, smiling nervously, and carried the chair over to the boy. She let him take it and set it down. He sat down, putting his bag in between his knees on the floor, and looked meekly at his desk. The teacher clicked, getting our attention, and began to scrape the chalk against the board. I winced, and turned away from the boy, but I knew he was there, and I really didn't want him to be. I didn't even know why.

When the lesson was over, I gathered up my books, piled them into my bag, and let Shay drag me out of the classroom. I wasn't really listening to her chatting. It was bound to be melodramatic anyway.

'Shay.' I interrupted. 'Ive left my pen behind. I'll meet you there, shall I?'

'Whatever.' She shrugged, putting a pink cube of gum into her mouth, and chewing nonchalantly.

I pushed backwards through the surge of people until I spotted the boy. I suddenly felt almost sick, asking myself why I was about to talk to this freak. I knew I should really catch up with Shay.

'Hi.' I said, moving closer to him.

Toby

Why was she talking to me? I stared at her, confused. Was she forced to?

'Im Olivia.' She nodded her head. 'Whats your name?' She sounded almost patronising.

'Im not stupid.' I snapped. 'I'll tell you my name if I want to. And right now I don't.'

My comment should have ended the conversation, but it didn't.

'Okay. You don't have to. But you should probably follow me or you won't know where to go for your next lesson.'

We walked in silence for a while. The sound of nothing filled my head with little voices. Little voices jabbing at me like blunt knives, just nicking the skin. I hadn't even noticed I had been scratching the skin on my hand again - until Olivia told me to stop.

'I know it's not my right to comment. But you shouldn't do that.' She wouldn't look me in the eye. I think it was fear. But the thought she was scared of me terrified me. Confusing, I know. Really confusing.

'Why are you even talking to me?' I blurted out. 'Im just some weird, crazy person.'

'I think there's something else.' She shook her head, at herself I think. 'And if I'm wrong, well, I'd still like to get to know you.'

But that didn't answer my question. I wanted an answer. A reason.

'I think it's something to do with those blue eyes of yours.' She looked at me, and smiled slightly. Then she bowed her head, stopping in front of a door, and pushed down the handle.