My Defenses Are Down

A/N: This is a continuation from the last entry in the hotel verse.

HOTEL verse. The first time Regina tells him she loves him.

Bobby sat at his desk, head in his hands. He had locked the door though he didn't expect anyone in the hotel to come bother him. There was still only a skeleton crew and he was still technically also the handyman. It was a weekday in between Christmas and Valentine's Day so it was going to be slow. With school not letting out for a few more hours, he had plenty of time to brood.

How had it all gone so wrong? After almost a year together—first as friends, then as lovers—he knew how he felt about Regina. Bobby had also thought she had felt the same, had believed it in his gut. Had he misread the signs?

No, he was certain he hadn't misread the signs. He was certain that Regina loved him as much as he loved her. She had said as much. What he had misread were her walls, assuming they had lowered more than they really had. Bobby had moved in before she was ready to let him fully in and now was paying the price for his impatience. On top of that, he had told her not even twenty-four hours ago that she could take all the time she needed. Then he went blustering into her house and gave her an ultimatum. What kind of man did that to the woman he loved?

A shitty one, that's who.

Bobby groaned, laying his head on his desk. He deserved it if she left him. It would be his own damn fault. He would spend the rest of his life knowing she was the one who got away and he was the fool who shoved her out of his life.

Roland was going to hate him.

He started to compose the conversation he was going to have to have with son to explain why Papa was no longer dating Regina. All he could hope was that Regina still allowed Roland and Henry to stay friends. It would be awful for his son to also lose his best friend along with the woman who was the closest thing he had to a mother.

Someone knocked on the door and he nearly growled at it. "Go away, I'm busy."

It opened a crack and Regina's face appeared there, looking apprehensive. "Even for me?"

Bobby jumped up, his heart pounding in his chest. "No, not you. Never for you, Regina. Please, come in."

"Thank you." She opened the door wider, slipping inside before closing it again. He reached her at that point, standing only inches away from her but it felt like the entire Grand Canyon separated them as she leaned against the door. "Hi."

"Hello," he said, breathing heavily as he tried to find any hint of how she felt. Her eyes were usually so expressive, allowing him to see everything she felt. Now, they looked apprehensive and nervous with no hint of anger.

"I'm sure you're wondering why I am here," she said. Before he could respond, she continued: "I wanted to apologize to you."

He frowned, confused by what she was saying. "What are you talking about? This time I was awful to you. I gave you all the time you needed and then took it away not even twelve hours later. I should be groveling on my knees, Regina, because I am truly sorry for that."

Regina placed her hand on his cheek and he leaned into her touch, relishing it. He kept his eyes on her as she smiled at him. "I forgive you. I put you through a lot in the past twenty-four hours and I'm sorry for that."

"You don't have to apologize for your feelings," he insisted.

"You sound like Archie," she replied, taking off her coat. That had to be a good sign, Bobby thought as his heart sped up and hope bubbled up inside him.

He then processed her words and tilted his head. "You spoke with Archie?"

She nodded, sitting down. "He said a few things last night that struck a chord. After you left, I realized I needed to work through those things and he let me do so this morning."