First Kiss

Henry's birthdays had always been quiet affairs. Regina would wake him up, making him chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast before they lounged about the house all day, watching whatever he wanted. She would then order a pizza since it was a special occasion and would finish it with cake and presents.

This year, though, he now had friends from school and wanted to celebrate with them. So she had several soon-to-be first graders running around her backyard, wearing bathing suits as they went down the slip and slide. Bobby stood by it, watching them carefully behind his sunglasses while she flitted around doing everything else to make the party a success.

Regina paused after setting out the cupcakes she had made at Henry's request, watching Bobby. He wore a loose pair of dark green swim trunks as well as a gray t-shirt, all soaking wet. It made his blond hair darker and caused his shirt cling to the muscles of his chest. She wasn't sure when he found the time, but Bobby certainly made sure to keep himself in very good shape. Regina found herself wanting to pull the shirt off him and run her hands all over his chest...

She took a deep breath and shoved that thought aside to join the hundreds like it that had popped up all summer long. As she spent more time with Bobby and Roland, the less she could deny her attraction to him. She even had flirted with using the "l" word, though she had often wondered if it was because she knew he was destined to be her soulmate or because she really did care for him in that way.

Now, though, was not the time for such deep thinking. She needed to keep the children entertained and make sure this was the best birthday Henry had ever had. Clapping her hands, she got the partygoers' attention. "It's time for cupcakes!" she announced.

They all cheered and gathered around her. Henry came to stand right next to her, Roland by his side. Everyone watched as she lit candles placed in seven different cupcakes before leading them in singing the "Happy Birthday" song. When they finished, Henry blew the candles out in one puff and everyone cheered again.

Once the children were seated and enjoying their cupcakes, Regina carried one over to Bobby. She held out the plate to him. "Thank you so much for all your help."

"Anything for you and Henry," he said, taking the plate. "But I expect you to help when I throw Roland a party in January."

"Of course," she said, though it made her stomach twist in dread. There was still a lot about the curse she didn't quite understand--namely how time passed. So she wasn't sure what was going to happen, but she knew that when they came time to celebrate Roland's birthday, he would be five years old all over again. And then she would have to explain why that was to her son.

She realized she may have to do so sooner, not knowing if Roland would be entering the first grade with Henry next month or returning to kindergarten. How many times had he been a kindergartener? If he had to go back, what would she tell Henry? How would she and Bobby handle it?

Would everything she had worked for fall apart because she couldn't stay away from this man and his son?

"Regina?" Bobby squeezed her shoulder, looking concerned. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, absolutely," she lied.

He didn't look convinced. "You got really quiet and worried. Are you sure?"

"I got worried about the start of the new school year. There's so much still to do," she told him.

"I know," he sighed, looking at Roland. "I can't believe he'll be in first grade this year. It's going so fast."

She nodded, relieved that Roland would be following Henry into first grade. It meant she didn't have to address any awkward questions her son might have just yet and she didn't also have to start distancing them from the Lockes.