Jealousy

The phone ringing at 2 AM was never a good thing. Her phone hardly rang at such an hour except for the time Graham had discovered Prince Charming—John Doe—by the side of the road. Regina had thought he had died back in the Enchanted Forest but there he was--alive if unconscious--on the side of the road leading into Storybrooke. She had him taken to the hospital and made herself his emergency contact. If anything changed, she would be the first to know.

So as she groggily reached for the phone, she wondered if something had changed with Charming. "Hello?"

"Regina?" It was Sidney Glass, not Victor Whale, on the other end. Why would the editor of the town newspaper be calling her at this hour? "Sorry to bother you but we have a situation down at the Rabbit Hole."

She groaned, remembering that Sidney was also the closest thing the town had to a deputy. But she didn't know why he was bothering her with another drunken scene probably caused by Leroy. "And why are you calling me and not Graham?"

Sidney hesitated. "Because he's involved. And I'm just the unofficial deputy, Regina. I don't really have any authority."

Regina sighed, knowing he was right. "Okay, okay. Let me get someone over here to watch Henry and I'll be there as soon as possible."

"Then it'll probably be best if you meet me at the hospital," he said. "EMTs are transporting Graham and Bobby Locke there now."

Her heart stopped. "Bobby Locke?"

"Yes. He was the one Graham was fighting. Both are pretty banged up but nothing major."

She breathed out in relief. "Okay. I'll see you at the hospital soon enough."

After waking her assistant and demanding the she come over to watch Henry, Regina hurried to dress. Even though it was a late night (or early morning?) call, she was not going to shop up in casual clothes. She was still mayor and had to dress the part.

While Regina dressed, Graham and Bobby consumed her thoughts. She realized with a growing dread that, as far as she knew, the two men only had one thing to fight over. Well, one person:

Her.

*****

Regina's heels clicked as she stormed down the hospital hallway, the smell of antiseptic almost overwhelming. She remained focused on finding Sidney, Graham and Bobby in order to get to the bottom of this whole affair.

She spotted Sidney, dressed in a suit himself, and he nodded as she approached. "Sorry to wake you at such an hour. But as I said, I really had no choice."

"I understand," she said, leaning against the nurse's station. "Where are Graham and Bobby?"

"Getting patched up. Graham's are most superficial but Bobby needed stitches."

Regina felt like she had been punched in the gut. "Stitches?"

"Nothing too serious, the doctor assured me. He should be able to answer my questions soon." Sidney pulled out his reporter's pad.

A desire to protect Bobby flared up in her. "Is that necessary? Can't you wait until he has had time to rest?"

"His recollection will be best now," Sidney pointed out.

Regina knew that he had a point, yet she also wanted to protect Bobby and make sure he got plenty of rest. "Have you spoken to anyone else?" she asked, hoping to divert Sidney for as long as possible.

"Yes," he said. "I've managed to put together a timeline."

"Okay. What is it?" Regina asked, ready to hear what had brought Graham and Bobby to the emergency room.