Chapter 4 - Anything

Start from the beginning

"But why?" She snarled, so viciously that Khalid found himself staring into her beautifully enraged, sea green eyes. "You cant just leave without saying so! What did I do? Or...is there someone else?"

"Maybe. I just don't like you anymore." He scowled and with that he spun around and walked away, making sure he slipped into a thick crowd so the clingy girl couldn't follow him. When he was sure Hiba couldn't have followed him, he slowed his pace and headed for a stairway that he knew would lead him to the library. He felt stupid for running; sooner or later Hiba would confront him again because she was the type of girl who had to know everything. A movement caught his eye on his right and someone fell into step besides him.

"Why were you talking to Mean Green Eyes?" Sabrina asked, making Khalid stare at her.

"Mean Green Eyes?" He asked, confused. 

He snorted in amusement when Sabrina turned pink and realized that it was probably her nickname for Hiba. What a fitting nickname too, he thought, remembering how Hiba's eyes flared in anger just a moment ago.

"I can't believe I just said that out loud." Sabrina moaned in embarrassment, which Khalid found adorable.

"Well, if you must know, I was just confirming our non existent relationship. As in, we're over." Khalid explained, feeling self conscious. 

He was slightly afraid of what Sabrina would think. No one wanted to marry a player and he definitely qualified as one. He watched her grow somber and felt a slight ping of alarm in his chest. I'm driving her away, he thought in desperation. Afraid she might yell out, 'BRO, THAT'S HARAAM', he interjected.

"I broke up with her three months ago, Sabrina. I regret ever being with her and all the other girls before her." He explained softly. "She asked me why I broke up with her today and I told her because didn't like her anymore. I like you."

"Oh, I just didn't realize you dated." She said softly.

"I have no excuses. I know what I did was wrong and, as of three month ago, I've promised never to date again." He told her, sincerely.

Sabrina glanced up at him and gave him a small smile. His heart melted as he allowed himself to calm down, assured that she wouldn't break out into a run and never speak to him ever again. Her face became serious again, but this time there was admiration flickering in her eyes

"That was really nice of you to stick up for that blind man, you know." She said, making Khalid start in surprise.

"You were there?" He asked, and then paused. "...Are you following me?"

"Good God, now that's just insulting." Sabrina scoffed, pretending to be offended. "I have much better things to do with my time."

"Better than watching me fight injustice." Khalid asked, wiggling his eyebrows. He noted with pride that he'd managed to make her blush and look away.

"But seriously. It was a nice thing to do." She said. "It's good to know that you're human."

"Oh good, I wouldn't want you to think I was some new species of hair-less monkey." Khalid said, rolling his eyes.

"Well...I did consider it as a possibility actually...." Sabrina giggled.

"My heart. It's been wounded." He sighed dramatically, clutching his chest and making Sabrina laugh.

He loved the way her eyes lit up when she smiled. And he loved the music of her laugh. He could sit there and listen to it all day. It warmed his heart to know that he's been the cause of that beautiful smile, that wonderful laugh.

"So," he found himself wondering out loud. "Have you decided yet, now that we've confirmed that I'm I'm human and capable of good?"

Sabrina's face instantly fell and Khalid found himself panicking. Her eyes shut him off completely, so he couldn't read them. It was as if a mask had replaced her face. He watched her silently, his heart drumming in worry. That can't be a good sign, he thought, watching her.

"I need more time." She finally told him. 

"Seriously?" He cried, and instantly regretted his outburst when he saw her flinch. He lowered his voice. "I thought you wanted me to prove myself?"

"I did and you have...but I still need to think it over." She said, staring at the floor.

They were standing in the middle of the hall now, right in front of the Library. Khalid didn't know where Sabrina's destination was and frankly, he didn't care because right then his gaze was fixed on her face, trying to understand just what the hell she was implying.

"You don't have faith in me, then?" He said slowly, his heart shuddering with each word.

Sabrina looked up, sharply. "No..its not that. I believe in you. Just give me some time."

"If you're trying to say no, just say it." Khalid snapped, irritated now.

"If you're this impatient, maybe I will!" Sabrina snapped back, making his eyes widen.

"How much time do you need?" He asked after a brief pause. 

He watched her face grow thoughtful and held his breath. She'd scared him with that last retort. He couldn't imagine what he'd do if she said no. If she refused, he was left with nothing. And it was then, that Khalid realized just how much Sabrina meant to him. When they were friends back in Junior High, she'd been there for him and she had no standards for him to accomplish. No expectations that she wanted him to meet. They'd just been friends, innocent and young and free, and he realized that with her, he'd been able to be himself, free of his father's expectations. Or living up to his brother's accomplishments. 

Even with his friends he couldn't be himself. They expected him to be cool and that meant doing drugs and getting suspended. But Sabrina wanted nothing from him. She just wanted his company and his friendship and he was only too happy to give her it because it meant letting loose. He was only too happy to make her laugh and crack dumb jokes and be human. It meant freedom for him. And now he realized why he liked her so much.

She could free him.

"A week." Sabrina said, breaking him out of his thoughts. "Can you wait that long?" She added dryly.

A week. He could do that. Hell, if she's said a year, he'd do it. He realized he would cross oceans and climb mountains for her. He realized that he could do anything for the brown-eyed beauty that had always been important to him. Even when he had supposedly hated her - he had still cared.

"For you?" He said. "I could do anything."

 _______________________________________________________________________

Who else screamed HARAAMM! in their head when you found out that Khalid dated? *cough*Reaper333*cough* 

By the way, the end may seem dramatic, but if you think about it....Sabrina really did free Khalid when they used to be friends. She didn't demand, expect or have standards for him, she let him be himself and that's all he really wants. Also, after they had that fight, he did turn pretty nasty and now that she's back...well... *wink wink* For all we know, she could be his salvation, lol :)

Also, anyone wanna guess why she's still hesitating? Maybe we'll find out next chapter? ;)

Vote? Comment? 

- - -

wudhu: ablution. Performed before prayer

Alim: Muslim scholar

Haraam: forbidden.

Fajr: morning prayer, before sunrise.