vingt-quatre

-24-

The engine roar died down as the black jeep patriot pulled up beside the brick wall. Two sneaker covered feet touched the gravel ground out from the vehicle. 

Onyx pulled the leather jacket tighter around his chest as the chilly night air bit at his exposed neck. He forgot his scarf as he was hurrying to get there. He had changed from his jumpsuit to his casual clothes, just to allow time to pass by. His patience quickly wore off and he could not wait any longer. Hence he hastily jumped into his car to find her. 

He observed his surroundings with the moon providing the only source of light. Smoke was rising from the upper windows of the ware house and he feared the worst. There was no sign of human activity around. The stars and the moon watched him as he locked his car and proceeded to slide open the wide door.

He quickly entered through and was greeted by a faint smell of an after math of fire. He crossed the long floor and dashed towards the elevator going down to the base's lobby. 

His heart leaped in his chest in impatience as the machine was taking its time to open. He repeatedly pressed the button and finally, it slid open. 

He entered with extreme caution, not sure how much damage his colleagues had done to the Eraser's base, including the elevator. Surprisingly the light inside flickered on as the machine took him down more slowly than a normal elevator. To his dismay it started to rattle as he neared the lobby and Onyx pressed his back to the wall, fearing for his life. 

The shaking suddenly ceased as it stopped at his destination and Onyx did not waste any time, but to rush out of it. He stepped out and a sense of nostalgia overcame him as his eyes swept the room. 

There was a faint fluorescent light coming from above him and so he was at least able to see clearly. Just hours ago the lobby was occupied with people and everything looked organized. Now the scene before him was chaotic. He covered his nose and mouth with his arm as the strong smell of smoke and dust invaded his nostrils. 

The monitoring screens were shattered to pieces and the conference table in the middle was now only a pile of ash. The room was so quiet, that he could hear his own heart beating. 

He recalled standing around the Erasers as the chlorine gas shut down their bodies. It was not a sight he wanted to repeat, watching people struggling to remain conscious. His heart clenched in disgust as he thought of himself as being part of the reason to their suffering.  

Suddenly he snapped out of his thoughts as he heard a creaking noise and he glanced up. His gaze landed on the florescent bulb above him as it slowly detached itself from the ceiling and was falling towards him. 

He yelped in alarm and dashed to his right. He closed his eyes as he heard the crashing noise of glass against the carpeted floor. He risked a glance after some seconds and saw sparks lighting up from the electrical wires still attached to the ceiling. 

'That's not a good sign.'' He said to himself. 

He was enveloped in complete darkness, now thanks to that. He took his phone out and shone its light around him, proceeding with his mission. 

Atara raised her head as she heard a loud sound, but she could not decipher what it may have been. She was too exhausted to check it out and she closed her eyes again. 

Her stomach continued to growl which annoyed her to no end. She was trying to think up a rescue plan at which she was failing miserably. Atara was stressed and she could feel the overwhelming sense to cry take control of her thinking.