Chapter 1| A damaged heart

Senior year. A crazy year for Emma Swan. It has its highs and its lows but it can never be forgotten.

Beep beep beep

The consistent, infuriating, marimba tone of her alarm floods her ears. After curling up into a tight ball she reluctantly slams her finger down onto her iPad and hits snooze. Flipping herself back over into the warm cocoon she was previously in, she falls back into a light slumber again. Just a few minutes she thinks to herself before submitting herself to her tired body's request.

"Emma! Are you up? Schools starting in 20 minutes! Get up now!" Emma's eyes shot wide when she heard her mother's shouting. She threw back her blankets and ran straight to her bathroom; she threw on her clothes and sprayed her perfume hesitantly. She ran back into her room and glanced at her phone. 7:45, "shit" she mumbled to herself before running over to her desk. She quickly combed through her eyebrows, dabbed on a small amount of concealer and applied a very small layer of mascara. She grabbed her bag and ran downstairs. "I slept in. Oh my goodness! I look a mess and-" She was running around her house trying to find a brush for her hair but before she had a chance to finish the sentence her dad interrupted her. "Emma you look beautiful, but we need to get going"  He said kindly, handing the brush which was next to him. They both ran out to the car and drove to school. Emma frantically combed through her hair whilst her father kept on making silly jokes, making Emma crack a smile.

Her father was probably the most important person in her life. He always managed to defuse a situation if things between her and her mom became heated. He was never biased and loved her unconditionally. Their relationship was so tight, it could never be replaced, but with that came a cost: he wasn't always here. Her Dad worked as a marine. A lot of the time he was overseas but sometimes he would occasionally be in a different state for months on end. Emma only ever saw him about two to three times a year. Their relationship was close but distant. Every time her dad would leave home it only became harder for 17 year old Emma. She missed him every moment she blinked. Logic would say that this would make her and her mom closer but it didn't, quite the opposite really. The similarities in personalities often rubbed against each other and the both got under each other's skin. Stubbornness. Emma's mom almost always guarded herself when her father wasn't around. She would snap a lot at Emma and Emma felt defenceless without her father. She never fully trusted her mom like she did her dad, she didn't know why. She just felt as if her mom didn't care about anything she did. Emma loved her but it was weak compared to her father.

She kissed her fathers cheek and said goodbye before slamming the car door shut. She walked up to the door and walked into the crowded cafeteria. She located her usual table and a smile painted on her face the moment she saw her best friend. "Ruby!" She screamed before their bodies collided in a bone-crushing hug. They saw each other in the summer but with Emma's dad coming home these past two weeks their friendship usually took a slight step-back. Ruby always understood, her father also worked in the forces. That's how the two bonded. Ruby's grandma took care of her and as the same with Emma, a few times a year he would return home. Ruby didn't have a mom due to her passing several years ago but her grandma was always there, for both Ruby and Emma.

Emma sat down on one of the chairs and they caught up, even though there wasn't a lot to catch up on. They both collected their schedules and Emma explained this mornings antics whilst she ate a cereal bar. Both were in fits of laughter, this truly was an unbreakable relationship.

She was never a loner but she was always quiet. She obviously had her best friend and she had some friends that she wasn't too close to but she liked them but the rest of her grade she didn't care for too much. She got on with them okay but felt like she was always rolling her eyes or something at what they say.

"Emma?" Ruby said whilst waving her hand in front of her eyes. "Hmm" Emma hummed as she snapped out of her trance. "Are you alright, you seem distant?" She questioned. "Oh, um- I guess I'm just tired." She laughed it off. They carried on talking about anything that came into the conversation but it was interrupted by a tap on Emma's shoulder.

She peered around and saw her principal Miss Morrison stood there.

"Morning Emma, Ruby. I'm sorry Ruby, I just need to take Emma for a few minutes" She said kindly, she was always so caring. Ruby said it was fine and Emma stood up and threw her backpack over her shoulder. She walked along the crowded hallways and made her way to the principals office...

~~~~~~
A/N: Hehe, little bit of a cliff hanger but lucky for you guys, I'm posting the first two chapters (one in the morning) because this is hella boring but it needs to be written. Let me know what you think in the comments and don't forget to vote!❤️