9 - things change

Heather's PoV

Days are getting chilly, even in LA

Days are getting chilly, even in LA. December arrived, Christmas is around the corner and the stores made sure we got the message.

The air might have this cool breeze rushing around us, but it’s not that cold. It doesn’t look like we’re almost hitting the winter season.

The good American sees the Christmas holiday as a white place, snow covered streets and red and white with a little bit of green ornaments spread around the city.

I don’t see none of that, I haven’t for so long. But I actually don’t miss it. The chilly weather with a few stores decorated with Christmas ornaments is enough for me.

I’m not a kid anymore, I don’t get excited about Christmas. It has been long time since I last remember having a Christmas, it was actually the Christmas of 76 my last one.

“Is everything ok?” The voice makes me stop breathing for a moment and closing my eyes I let out a sigh. As I open my eyes and look to my right side, I meet hazel.

“Yes, it is.” A ghost of a smile appears on my lips. For much hard it is to smile, I can’t contain myself from smiling as my eyes capture the sight of him, Duff.

“You don’t look fine.” A frown is placed on his face and makes my chest tight, I hate the sight of it.

“But I am, don't worry about it.” I try to convince him once again with a smile before we get inside the diner we agreed to have breakfast this morning.

It has been a year since I last came here.

“Ok.” He let's out a sigh, giving up. “I'll believe you this time.”

We sit in a booth and quickly a familiar face comes to us with two menus in her hand.

“Hi welcome to-” The brunette girl doesn't finish the welcoming sentence when her big brown eyes land on me. “Heather!” She exclaims, loud and sounding like a squeal. “It has been so long since I last saw you!”

“Yeah, it has been a long time.” I say, a small, forced smile tracing my features​.

“I’m so sorry about what happened… Rocky was such a great person, she didn't deserve that.”

Hearing her name makes my stomach flip. I haven't heard​ it for so long. Although I remember about her almost everyday, it's like she has been erased from the world and everyone's memories.

She didn't have many friends either, so it's not that hard to be forgotten. Rocky, she didn't talk much to other people other than me, Sebastian when it was necessary and Vicky, the brunette standing in  front of me.
Even the police forgot about it quickly. They didn't get the guy and the case was archived. It was not fair. She got violently murdered and the guy just got away with it.