-38-

Lyra's eyes fluttered open. The blinding lights hovering above her a migraine inducing blur. She was cold and numb. She noticed the presence of a mask on her face, covering her nose and lips, forcing her to inhale oxygen. She wiggled her fingers, realizing that despite being numb, she had control over her extremities.

She moved her arms, resting her hands on her breasts, feeling that she was naked. Her vision was beginning to come into focus, turning her head away from the lights. Everything was clear. She could smell the blood in the sterile air through the oxygen mask.

Lyra closed her eyes, pulling the mask off of her face as she felt the energy of the people who had been in the room just moments ago.

She sat up, looking down at her nude body in confusion. That's when she remembered.

Lyra touched her neck, feeling the stitches on the bite marks that had killed her.

She swallowed; the pain still existing as she recalled what Olivia had said to her - sinking her teeth into her flesh. "He'll be so much more." The chilling words rang in Lyra's mind as she thought of Olivia's plan. She had prepared to push Roman to commit suicide - it was the only way to make Roman into the monster she had wanted him to be. "Full Upir," Olivia beamed; practically singing the phrase.

Lyra wanted to cry - unable to know just how long she had been dead. There was no way of knowing if Roman was still what she had left him to be. She had told him to "be strong." She hoped that for once, Roman had listened.

Lyra placed her feet on the floor; the feeling unusually strange. She didn't feel like herself and yet, she felt like so much more.

Her body felt light - as if she were filled with helium. She noticed a lab coat hanging on a rack near the table that held medical instruments. She wondered what all had been used to resuscitate her. She glanced down - noticing the monogrammed name "Dr. Pryce" on the upper left side of the coat.

But that didn't make sense - Pryce had planned to kill Lyra; she had saw it in his mind. Why had he brought her back to life? Lyra scanned the room; her eyes trailing all around, noticing a staircase that led up another level, leading to a door.

She closed the lab coat around her body, still feeling naked despite being covered.

She walked up the steps; when making it to the steel door, she pulled down the handle, pushing it open. A long, vacant hall with rails lined both sides of the corridor. She apprehensively began to explore - wandering through the wing of the institute that resembled a hospital. This was just like her dream.

"Miss Cambion, what are you doing up?" Pryce stepped out from the wall; Lyra hadn't noticed the room Johann emerged from. He was holding a small stack of papers - a smile on his face as he looked to Lyra in amazement.

"What am I doing here?" Lyra managed to find her voice - the vibrations of her speech causing discomfort to her throat. She took a step back when seeing Johann approach.

"You have been through so much, my dear. The revival was a complete success. I believe we have your father to thank for that." Dr. Pryce placed his hand on Lyra's shoulder, but the gesture didn't sit well. Lyra moved out of his grasp, narrowing her eyes at him unamused.

"Don't touch me." Lyra said, moving away from Johann. His face fell - he looked as though she had hurt his feelings.

"I wouldn't lose control of that temper just yet." Pryce's hurtful expression quickly turned scorn. "You are upset because you are confused and scared - I understand. But that is no reason to lose that temper. Please... keep it in line." Pryce said.