The Butcher of Bognor - Part 39

PC Platt showed them to an interview room and they all sat round the table. He was a tall, serious young man, and Millie couldn't see why Gwen was smiling and flirting with him. Especially in the state she was in, heavily pregnant and barely able to walk.

"I'm so sorry, officer," Gwen said. "As soon as I found out, I rang the station. You know what kids are like."

She stopped smiling, and glared at Millie. "Alright you, confess your crimes."

"I'm very sorry, officer." Millie smiled innocently. "I was talking to a woman in the park and I made up a story."

PC Platt took out his notebook. He wasn't smiling back, and Millie's stomach was threatening to return her boiled egg and toast from breakfast. "What kind of story?"

"Erm, it was sort of about Marcel selling his kidney to Chunk."

Gwen explained. "They're friends of hers." Then she started flirting again. "A young chap like yourself; you know there's not much to do around here."

The policeman ignored Gwen and addressed Millie. "Are you aware that it's a crime to sell organs, and to waste police time?"

"I didn't waste police time," Millie said defensively.

"Millie!" Gwen warned her.

"Sorry officer," Millie said, putting a hurt look into her eyes. "I didn't think she'd believe me. It was just a silly child's game."

"She plays the child card when it suits her, officer." Gwen wasn't going to make it easy for her. "The rest of the time she's like an old, bloody woman."

"This time I'm going to give you a warning," PC Platt said severely. "Just be careful when you're telling stories. Some people can't tell the truth from fiction."

"Yes, Officer Dibble," said Millie meekly. "Can I just ask, is this the same room where the Butcher of Bognor was tortured before his confession?"

"Who?" PC Platt mumbled, as he checked his sapps.

"Jake Sharp," Millie almost whispered. "He killed fourteen teenage girls in the summer of '88, and kept their dismembered bodies in his fridge."

"Before my time," PC Platt said briskly, standing up and putting his i-phone away.

"After he confessed," Millie continued, wide-eyed, "he strangled two policemen in his cell and escaped through the window."

All of them turned to look at the wire mesh window, before Gwen sighed wearily. "Sorry for the trouble, officer. Let's go, you."

                                                                                             .....

Gwen slammed her car door shut and pulled out of the police station car park. "You're grounded for life!"

Millie knew that she should keep quiet, but her recent triumphs had gone to her head. "I can't be grounded for life, you have to let me out sometime, Gwen."

"Don't you dare start with me, young lady!" Gwen snapped at her. "After that episode in there, you should know when to keep your big mouth shut. Do you realise that I am seven months pregnant, and all this stress is not good for me?"

Millie suddenly realised that Gwen was genuinely upset. This wasn't the usual fake anger she put on whilst secretly smiling at Millie's stories. "I have never been so bloody embarrassed in my life! You're not a child anymore and you should know by now that lying has consequences."

"I wasn't lying," Millie tried to defend herself. "I just made up a story, that's all."

"Oh, don't be so naïve," Gwen scoffed. "Little kids make up stories. What you did was outrageous! The police aren't amused, and you should have heard the way that young constable patronised me when you were out of the room." Gwen savagely mimicked the copper. "You really need to try and control your daughter, Mrs Hardiman. You've got to tell her not to say these wild things. People will believe her." I said to him, "What do you think I've been doing? Of course I've told her!"

They were travelling along the sea road beside the beach and Millie looked out of the window. The blustery wind blew the choppy waves up on the sea wall, like they were little ships trying to invade Bognor.

Gwen saw that she wasn't listening and shouted at her. "Can you bloody hear me?"

"Yes Gwen," Millie said huffily.

Millie had underestimated her mother's anger. "Don't you dare call me, Gwen! Call me, Mother, or Mrs Hardiman!" Gwen shouted. "Show some respect. That is it! No more stories for the darts thingy or Marshmallow Man, or anything else that isn't for school! I don't want to hear another lie coming out of your mouth."

Millie looked out of her side window and shouted. "Mum, watch out! There's a giant hamburger crashing into the car!"

Gwen turned her head to look at Millie and snarled, "What have I just bloody told you about lying?" Then there was a loud bang and something landed on the bonnet of the car, covering the windscreen. Gwen screamed and wrenched the wheel violently to the left, running up the pavement and smashing into the sea wall.

The airbags deployed and Millie fought her way past them and out of the door. The car was crushed in half by the impact and smoke was pouring from gaping holes in the bonnet.

Millie screamed, "Mum! Mum! Get out of the car!" When she couldn't see any movement from Gwen, Millie sped round the car and tried to open the driver's door. It was smashed in and she couldn't open it. She could see Gwen's eyes were closed and blood was running down her face. Flames started coming from the bonnet now, and Millie forced herself to breathe and not become hysterical. She kicked and pulled at the door, shouting frantically, "Mum! Mum! Wake up!"

She was aware of cars braking and people running towards her. "Phone for help!" she screamed, as she banged on the window.

Miraculously, Gwen opened her eyes and with Millie pulling desperately at the handle, and Gwen pushing outwards, the door popped open. Gwen fell out and Millie half carried and half dragged her fifty yards. They both collapsed on the verge beside the road. The car exploded in a ball of flames and Millie held on to Gwen tightly and sobbed with relief.

Gwen looked at her and gasped weakly. "Millie, let me breathe. Oh yeah, and my waters just broke. You better call an ambulance," then she passed out.