Chapter 39: The Return

Start from the beginning

"I better make a call. Time for some... political favors," Steven said as he grabbed his phone and dialed Mayor Dewey.

"Y/n, let's talk about your position," Pearl said, "When the ship arrives, I want you inside the house. When I call you, you come out with your human weapon and you fire until you reach the beach, understand?"

"Understood," Y/n nodded, "Do you think a gun has any effect on a gem's physical form?"

"If it's the Jasper you described... most likely not, but it will slow her down," Pearl told

"Got it," Y/n nodded, "Rely on the sword, then?"

"Rely on the sword," Pearl told

-----------

"People! I need everyone to consider evacuation! Evacuation is something we all depend on in times of..." Mayor Dewey's voice rang out from the boardwalk. Greg drove his van onto the beach and got out to meet the gems.

"Hey! That's a great idea, Dad. You should leave with the rest of the-" Steven began, but stopped when he noticed his cheeseburger backpack in the back of the van, "Is that my luggage?"

"Uhhhh..." Pearl and Greg glanced at each other

"Who wants to tell him?" Greg asked, looking at Pearl. Pearl then turned to Amethyst.

"Hey, I'm not good with this stuff!" Amethyst crossed her arms

"Steven, I know you don't think we trust you. I know more often than not we treat you like a human child. But the truth is, we rely on you. Your voice inspires us, binds us, reminds us why we promised to protect the planet. You must now be that voice, for them," Garnet told Steven as she knelt down to his height, "If anything happens, you need to be there to protect them. Like your mother once did. It's your destiny,"

"I won't disappoint you!" Steven assured

"I know," Garnet smiled

"Make us, proud, buddy," Y/n smiled as they watched Steven get into the van with his dad and drive off

"Y/n, ammunition count," Garnet turned to face the human

"Uh..." Y/n counted the clips on their belt, "118,"

"Good," Garnet nodded, "Remember Pearl's instructions, stay inside until she calls you,"

"Yep," Y/n nodded, "I've got it,"

"We did everything we could. Alright, pull it together!" Garnet called to the sad Gems behind her

"Huh... Where's Lion headin' off to?" Y/n asked as they noticed the pink lion dashing away from the beach

"Did you say something?" Amethyst asked as she approached

"Nah... Just thinking out loud," Y/n said, "So, you nervous?"

"Uh, Yeah! Aren't you?" Amethyst frowned

"I don't really know at this point," Y/n admitted, "I'm kind of convinced I'm dreaming all of this and I'm gonna wake up last April on the train ride to Beach City,"

"Man, if that was a movie and that happened, I'd be so mad," Amethyst chuckled

"Me too," Y/n laughed

"Amethyst! We have to fuse!" Pearl called out, "Opal's arrows may be able to effect the ship!"

"Oh, right," Y/n said, "I've actually never seen you guys fuse..."

"Well, enjoy the show, man," Amethyst laughed as she went over to Pearl

"Amethyst, take this seriously," Pearl demanded